FORUMS: list search recent posts

dual mono

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
dual mono
on Jun 21, 2014 at 11:14:18 pm

I've noticed in FCP X that if I am choosing dual mono that a channel waveform in the timeline could show clipping yet on the audio meters there is no clipping.

The meters in FCP X are downstream. Thus after any audio effects have been applied.

I assume that when creating dual mono the gain is lowered (either by doubling one channel or by mixing two channels and then outputting as dual mono ).

Two questions:

Is this correct?

Right or wrong: What would be a more complete explanation of what happens when you select dual mono?

And is it best practice to lower the gain on any part of the waveform that is showing clipping even if the clipping does not show on the meters?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: dual mono
on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:09:50 am

Taking a dual mono signal and panning it centre gives a +3db lift.

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:11:05 am

I'd add that this is nothing to do with fcp and indeed I'd not attempt and audio work in this Nile personally.

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:52:30 pm

Yeah. I've been trying to test this to help myself understand what happens to the levels as I choose different options. Can't. Every time I test it I get different results. That is, one time the meters will show lower levels on dual channel mono panned center or to one side. The next time it won't. It might be end user error somehow but not sure how.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]