FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filming a speaker...microphone suggestions?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erin Herbst
Filming a speaker...microphone suggestions?
on Jun 18, 2014 at 3:56:16 pm

Hi everyone,
So I'm pretty much a newbie at video recording. I just graduated high school and don't have any formal training but I have done some video work for local businesses using my Canon eos 70D and my AudioTechnica AT803 lavaliere mic.
I've just been asked by a local business woman if I can come an film her speak at a conference. Since she's going to be moving around on stage and I will probably be a ways back it won't work for me to use my AT803 so I was gonna rent the Sennheiser EW122-p G3 Hotshoe Wireless Lavalier Mic (from this place http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/microphones/sennheiser_lav) for the event. I'm hoping this way I can get a crisp, clean audio recording for the footage, which she eventually wants to use in some promotional videos.
My question is: If she's already going to be using a microphone to project her voice for the crowd, do I need to worry about the Sennheiser interfering with that? (I know sometimes you put two microphones/devices together and you get a loud buzzing effect?) Is the Sennheiser even a good option? I know the camera alone won't be enough to pick up decent quality audio from where I'll be filming in the crowd. Any advice is MUCH appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Filming a speaker...microphone suggestions?
on Jun 18, 2014 at 5:29:25 pm
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Jun 18, 2014 at 5:36:01 pm

It is good to see videographers that have good sense for audio coverage. And especially "young-players" new to the game. Congratulations, you demonstrate excellent sense for audio.

Yes a Sennheiser G3 wireless system is probably the most common solution to the scenario you are presenting. It is a very good choice. Remember that you will need the proper cable/adapter to interconnect the receiver with the audio input on your camera.

You might want to think about recording the presenter on one channel of your camcorder, and an audience-reaction mic (perhaps the mic on your camera?) on the other channel. That would get more natural sound to sneak some of the room sound in with the direct channel from the presenter. Especially if they are doing things (telling jokes, etc.) that evoke audible reactions from the audience.

NO, clipping a wireless lav onto your subject will NOT create problems with the venue system. UNLESS the venue system is also wireless and you are using a channel that is incompatible. But the G3 systems are "frequency agile" which means that you can change the channel of your rental system to avoid interference with any wireless system in the venue.

The professional, local, equipment rental houses will typically offer "frequency coordination" services and help you select (and even configure) equipment for the locatoin (city and even venue) you are operating in.

I would say "good luck" but you don't need luck with the kind of good sense you exhibit.

Return to posts index

Erin Herbst
on Jun 18, 2014 at 5:46:16 pm

Thanks so much Richard, I appreciate your fast response and words of wisdom. Glad to hear I'm on the right track.
On a separate note (and not sure if this is something you could advise me on or not) but what do professional videographers typically charge to film something like this? The talk itself is about 20 minutes but I'm assuming I should factor in the 30 mins of travel time each way and any additional set up and take down into my fee. I won't be doing any post-production, just delivering her the unedited footage. I live in Virginia about 60 miles from DC is that helps. Any general suggestions for a ball-park quote?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 18, 2014 at 5:51:50 pm

I don't have any advice on that as I am not in that business model. You might want to search these (and similar) forums for "rates", etc. There are jobs offered/wanted forums here in the COW that may have hints about rates.

You might also want to start a new discussion with a more targeted subject line to get responses about rates. The moderator of this very forum (Ty Ford) works in your general area and I am sure he could offer some good advice.

Return to posts index

Erin Herbst
on Jun 18, 2014 at 5:54:40 pm

Great, thanks a lot! You're expertise is very appreciated :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]