FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lav mic causes hiss on one camera but not the other

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arvid Utas
Lav mic causes hiss on one camera but not the other
on Jun 6, 2014 at 10:13:33 am

Hi,

Please help me with a situation that is confusing me. I have searched the forum, and there are a million threads on hiss but not on a similar situation...

Here is my setup:
Cameras:
Sony PMW-200
Sony HVR-Z7
Mics:
Sanken Cos 11x BP
Sony ECM-77B

Both mics of the XLR wired lapel type.

The problem I am having is that the Sanken mic is causing a huge amount of hiss with the PMW200. The Sony mic is fine with the PMW200 and both are fine with the Z7 (well I say fine, I think both are a bit hissy and low output but acceptable)

Why is this? How can it be fixed?

Many thanks,
Arvid

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Lav mic causes hiss on one camera but not the other
on Jun 6, 2014 at 12:59:54 pm
Last Edited By Eric Toline on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:58:02 pm

First I would make sure the mics are being powered properly. The BP designation for the Sanken says it uses a battery powered connecting unit. Check that the battery is full voltage. If you can power the unit with 48v phantom then try that. Second make sure the gain settings on each camera are correct for the mics being used. More information is required.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Arvid Utas
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:18:54 pm

Thanks for your reply.
Sorry I forgot to mention, both mics are powered by XLR PhantomPower from the camera. It is NOT a wireless mic so I don't think there are any other gain settings then the main levels wheel on the camera? Or would there be something in the menus?

Return to posts index

Matt Davis
on Jun 6, 2014 at 5:38:29 pm

There are also some internal settings on the camera, accessible through the menus. "Audio Input" in the main menu second tab down. I won't tell you what your settings should be, because that's really up to you, but there are definitely some settings there that can have an effect.

I use a Sony ECM 44B microphone and I've used the 77B as well and I don't think I had to adjust any of these internal settings, but that might not be the case for your other mic.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Arvid Utas
on Jun 20, 2014 at 9:19:52 am

Thanks for your reply Matt!
I've had a look through the menu now and I can't really find anything that helps. The only option that makes a difference is EXT MIC CH1 REF which when changed reduces the signal in general (hiss and voice alike) so that's not really helping the problem.

Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]