FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi-Person Interview

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
Multi-Person Interview
on May 29, 2014 at 1:12:57 pm

Most interviews I do are one person on-camera, so I boom a mic in over the top. I've done the same a few times with two people on-camera; one mic for each person. Let's say I have three people on-camera –obviously I have exceeded the capacity of my little two input pre-amp mixer when using three mics. But, would you still boom three mics overhead, or is there a better way to handle it if they are sitting fairly close together?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Multi-Person Interview
on May 29, 2014 at 1:24:25 pm
Last Edited By Eric Toline on May 29, 2014 at 1:36:15 pm

Without knowing what mics you are using, you can do very well with 2 wider pattern mics like cardioids. You will hinder yourself with shotgun type microphones.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on May 30, 2014 at 1:00:56 pm

[Eric Toline] "Without knowing what mics you are using, you can do very well with 2 wider pattern mics like cardioids. You will hinder yourself with shotgun type microphones. "

Thanks, Eric. Often in single person interviews, I will use a shotgun mic; mostly because it's the best mic I have.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 29, 2014 at 4:17:01 pm

Hello Jason and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

If everyone's sitting close together, I think the easiest solution would be a live boom op and one mic.

He/she would hang out in the middle and either tilt or shift left and right as needed.

This becomes more difficult if there's a lot of extemporaneous talking and interrupting, but could still work.

Each person talking would ideally have the same level voice, but that doesn't always happen. When it doesn't, I park the mic over the quiet person and tilt to get the louder one from a distance. This is sometimes called "mixing with air."

You might also put two locked down booms between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 and split track them.

Three lavs and an automixer will also work, but probably won't sound as good as one or two really good hyper/super caardioid boom mics.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on May 30, 2014 at 1:08:27 pm

[Ty Ford] "You might also put two locked down booms between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 and split track them."

That is a great idea! Although I wouldn't know a really good cardioid from a bad one (other than by price). I have a Samson Q7 (inexpensive) and an old Beyerdynamic M500N (inherited).

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 30, 2014 at 7:12:00 pm

neither.

The M500 is a good hand held vocal mic. not so much a boom mic. Don't know about the other one.

a pair of AT 5053b or Audix SCX-1 HC mics would work.

Again, you'd be at the mercy of the relative loudness of the individual's voices.
If their levels are not consistent and even, there little you can do in post, so chancy but possible.

If they are not popping in and out a lot a good boom op can cover the action with one boom.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 1, 2014 at 5:37:20 am

Is that an update to the Audio-Technica AT4053b Hypercardioid Condenser Microphone? Did a search and couldn't find it.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 1, 2014 at 6:47:00 am

Craig,

Sorry folks, new keyboar! Bad hands!

Thanks for the catch.

4053b is correct.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 1, 2014 at 4:06:14 pm

Hey TY, quick question: I have a few of the 4053b and love em.

We also have a few of the Sennheiser ME66/K6 and often have trouble getting results as good.

But outdoors the ATs pick up too much wind noise and we have nice wind protectors that fit the Senns.

The foam protectors that come with the ATs fall off way too easily.

Would this work for outdoor use:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68164-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8106_AT810...

Audio-Technica AT8106 Slip-on Pop Filter (Metal)

Working with students I feel that the wind protectors also help absorb any abuse the mikes might take from students.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jun 2, 2014 at 2:58:08 am

Tape the foam wind screens to the mic so they don't fall off.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 8, 2014 at 6:56:51 pm

The foam handles wind as well as say the fussy kind or in this case as well as the foam plus pop filter?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 8, 2014 at 9:34:35 pm

Depends on how much wind.

A zeppelin from Rycote may be necessary. They make a small one for shorter mics. The zeppelin cuts out most of the wind. The furry cover adds some more protection, but the zeppelin does most of the work.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]