FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio from Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 sounds like it had a noise gate?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Pickering
Audio from Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 sounds like it had a noise gate?
on May 23, 2014 at 3:39:10 pm

I need some advise.

I shot some video with my DSLR recently and was surprised to hear the audio to be noisy, but only noisy when there is talking. Almost like there's a noise gate that clips the audio when it's quiet.

Here's a small clip: https://soundcloud.com/stephen-c-pickering/bad-audio

Shot with Canon 550D with Magic Lantern (with AGC disabled), left channel set 6db hotter than right. The microphone is Sennheiser G2 100. The mixer I was using was a Juiced Link Rigy Micro (XLR in).

On a later shoot I did notice a lot of interference (also mostly only noticeable when the mic'd subject spoke). After scanning new channels and not getting rid of the interference (sounded like static, like a hiss), I did a factory reset and started over- I got them working after that.

I've used this setup for a year with great results, but this caught me off guard. Using Audition I can use "Adaptive Noise Reduction" which makes it fine for my use, I would like to know WHY this happened so I can prevent it in the future. Could the "sensitivity" on the transmitter be too low? Would this happen if there's interference I didn't notice but was present?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've never enjoyed doing sound myself, but some projects I've got no choice.

Thanks so much!
-Stephen

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Audio from Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 sounds like it had a noise gate?
on May 23, 2014 at 5:27:40 pm

I can't detect any "noise" or other issues - just the typical sound of the woeful super-cheap pre-amps in the typical DSLR. There's no low end, a serious peak in the upper mids and pretty bad HF detail. And NONE of that helps with the sound of that young woman's particular voice. Some of that might have been mic placement but most of it just shows why no matter how much extra effort, money, and inexpensive hardware you throw at turning a DLSR into an audio recorder - in the end, the recording is gonna hit the camera's audio circuits (such as they are) and you're ALWAYS at risk of ending up with pretty "meh" sound.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]