FORUMS: list search recent posts

On Hold System - MP3 Player - Volume Question

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Kuenneke
On Hold System - MP3 Player - Volume Question
on May 15, 2014 at 8:48:27 pm

How can I increase the volume output on an MP3 player feeding our "on-hold" system. I've talked to the phone company tech support and they're unable to offer any help.

Our on-hold message plays from a consumer MP3 player, going from the mini plug headphone jack to a stereo-mono converter and then into the system. The system requires a mono signal.

Right now the MP3 player volume control is maxed out and you have to strain to hear it on a phone.

Do I need to reconfigure my equipment - drop the mp3 player and go to a more robust system with a mixer, etc?

Thank you.

Rich

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: On Hold System - MP3 Player - Volume Question
on May 15, 2014 at 9:25:43 pm

You need a small line level preamp between the mono converter and the phone system. What you want is the ac powered stereo line level amplifier from http://www.mcmelectronics.com, part #50-14820 about $35. It has RCA in & out connectors and has 0-15db of gain. It will do the job for you.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on May 15, 2014 at 9:34:52 pm

Thank you Eric!

For this to work, I would need two Y adapters, female mini plug to double RCA males?

Rich

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on May 15, 2014 at 10:53:35 pm

Errrr its probably recorded low on purpose.... Don't you hate the 'on hold' messages so loud compared to the human on the line.

A different approach is get a copy of the message/s drop them into an audio edit program, bump up the level, then put it back onto the MP3 player at the new higher level..... simple

Any audio edit program will do it, Audacity is a good 'free' program if you need it.

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on May 15, 2014 at 11:58:31 pm

Thank you Brian. I actually recorded and edited the message and it has perfect levels. When someone complained about it, I went back to the original edit and bumped it up as high as possible without going too high and replaced the first file with the new one. Still too low!

If the in-line level adjuster can work without distorting, I think that's the way to go.

Rich

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on May 20, 2014 at 1:33:44 am

Sounds like you just need an MP3 player that goes to 11.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]