FORUMS: list search recent posts

Film Audio Post

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abhayadev Sankaran
Film Audio Post
on May 9, 2014 at 12:49:32 pm

Hi,
In Film/Cinema audio post how is the video display section works?

I understand that it will on the PT's timeline but is eating up the same CPU? or do we have separate video cards?

Any latency issues faced for GFx processing or long cable length to the projector etc.?

If anybody can share any diagrams that would be of great help...

I am a freelancer trying to setup my things for my film mix... i am planning to use another PC(Core2 DUO 3.8Ghz/3GB ) one synced over MIDI from my MAC mini running REAPER... hope this will work.. still doing some research on this setup....

http://astudios.in

Regards,
Abhayadev S

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Film Audio Post
on May 11, 2014 at 7:36:49 pm

Hello Abha and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I'm not sure I understand your questions.

By PT do you mean Pro Tools? On my rig I just watch the video in the Pro Tools window that opens after I import video with audio. I don't send it to another monitor.

GFx? I don't know what that is.

Why are you using a projector? I doubt the cable length would cause latency, A processor might.

There certainly can be latency with MIDI.

Why are you running two machines? That in itself might cause delay.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Abhayadev Sankaran
on May 12, 2014 at 5:58:43 am

sorry, if my question was not clear....

PT=ProTools (most people use this i guess...)

Any latency issues caused for HD video playback in same timeline/DAW ?

My problem is that my MacMini may not be able to 50+ tracks of audio and one 1080pHD video timeline ! So I was planning to use another machine with MIDI connection for MTC sync. If the MTC sync has a constant latency then I can manage with adding a time offset in player so that it will compensate the MTC delay.

what is a typical workstation / hardware configuration used for Film/TV audio post?

Regards,
Abhayadev S

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on May 12, 2014 at 8:02:42 am

OK
1) I think youll run into problems doing much on a mac mini.
2) Id drop the HD 1080 video file down to a sd file such as a photojepg which is much less priocessor hungry.
3) Id also recommend running the pictures via a third party card. I use a Black magic Extreme.
4) The main reason ive not really moved to pt 11 from 10 is that 10 has a video offset in qtr frames adjustment where you correct for monitoring timings. Ive not been able to find same function in 11 so Im still running 10 even though 11 is on the machine. Catchinsync from the app store is a good tool for setting these delays.
5) Id rekon that running a second machine with the picture files although seems sensible, Im not sure how youd go about making that work reliably. id get a pro end mac and do it all in the 1 unit.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Abhayadev Sankaran
on May 12, 2014 at 11:44:57 am

Yeah, I think i may have to pre-mix multiple times and get them to mixed down to have minimum number of stems for the final mix. it seems, this is the only option i have for now :(

The usage of another machine is still in theory and i am yet to do a trial run of it...

thanks for the inputs...

Regards,
Abhayadev S

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on May 12, 2014 at 2:51:13 pm

Thats a very restrictive way of working nowadays.
Way back in the days of multitrack machines and limited tracks it was the norm, but theres just no need these days to submix and mix down.
people are used to being able to adjust EVERY and ANY element right up to the last mixdown pass.
That would be so frustrating.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]