FORUMS: list search recent posts

E6 mike color

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
E6 mike color
on Apr 14, 2014 at 10:40:33 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Apr 14, 2014 at 10:42:15 pm

What could I use to change the color to black on our E6 mikes. They are the so-called skin tones and I don't like the look. Would perm markers do the trick?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: E6 mike color
on Apr 15, 2014 at 12:25:52 pm
Last Edited By Eric Toline on Apr 15, 2014 at 1:15:10 pm

Why would you want to make them standout against a face? The reason for skin tones is so they look almost invisible on camera. A broad tip Sharpie would do the job but remember that there's a chance that the color will rub off onto the wearers face and once you've changed the color you can't remove it.

OTOH you could get a length of 1/8" or 3/16" diameter black shrink tubing and shrink it over the stalk with a heat gun being careful not to over heat the capsule. I have a feeling that the stalk flexibility will be impaired with the shrink tubing on it.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 15, 2014 at 3:33:59 pm

I find that the skin tone colored cords/mikes are more distracting than black. But it would need to be a matte black. They often look like scars or the audience starts staring at the them to see what exactly it is. I find that black on the other hand either blends in with shadow or you just think "mike" and forget about it. But if I were to color over it it would have to be smoothly applied and a matte finish. Black eyeliner just makes the eyes look bigger or more defined. Colors look like a mask and call attention to themselves.

Personally I never find that trying to match skin tone works. Skaters with custom skin tone boots and leggings for example. The only time the camouflage works is if the cloth is somewhat transparent and the skin itself is showing through like some silk stockings.

I was actually advised by countryman (when I asked if I could trade them in-no I could not) that if I choose the darker color on a lighter skin the contrast would make them less distracting. I also asked at a local audio retailer if I could trade them in at a loss and they told me there was too little demand for them. They are used for live shows but mostly in custom colors and even then I find the camouflage fails.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 15, 2014 at 3:48:40 pm
Last Edited By Eric Toline on Apr 15, 2014 at 9:07:01 pm

Personally I think you're being a bit too picky and creating a problem where none exsists. I recently finished a show with 15 actors on stage all wearing the E6 in various skin tones and no one ever noticed or cared.

Eric

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 15, 2014 at 6:05:26 pm

Make something in a scene read as matte black?

Isn't this a job for gaffers tape?

; )

Just joking, the heat shrink tubing is genius, however, and can be undone with a razor blade.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 16, 2014 at 8:05:34 pm

Don't think I'd want to add thickness. But here's an off topic question that is another pet peeve of mine that maybe is a non issue for everyone else that might be related to your heat shrink tubing suggestion.

The coiled cables on the Sony headphones MDR7506 seem to snag on everything that comes close to them.

Would the heat shrink tubing straighten out their act? Do cords remain flexible with their addition?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 16, 2014 at 11:27:47 pm

Your only option for the 7506 coily cable issue is to have it replaced with a straight cable. I've done that many times for others who have had the same complaint.

Eric

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 17, 2014 at 2:05:36 am

Thanks Erick. However, they sell new for $85 dollars (minus ed discount for us) and the retail for the cable alone is $35 plus labor + shipping and new pads would be good. I remember that a straight cord was an option at one time but I don't see that now. We have like 20 of them. I train the kids to remove them first when packing up and last when setting up. I hang them from a separate pole between classes and in storage.

If one stopped working I wouldn't mind learning to use a generic headphone cable and learn to solder it. Is there such a cable and how steep the learning curve?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 17, 2014 at 3:20:02 am
Last Edited By Eric Toline on Apr 17, 2014 at 2:27:35 pm

AFAIK there is no "generic" HP cable for the 7506. From experience I can tell you that replacing the 7506 HP cable is a daunting job and not for the novice. Trust me on that. If you contact me we can workout a price for cable replacements much less than what you've been quoted. audioetc@bellsouth.net or 954-255-7628.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]