FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dmw - YAGH

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikos Papadopoulos
Dmw - YAGH
on Mar 29, 2014 at 12:44:00 pm

I am slowly putting together a GH4 rig, moving out from 5dmkii. The audio companion for the 5d was the tascam dr-60d. Now I am contemplating between the Mix pre d and the DMW-YAGH that comes as an optional accesory for the GH4. Among other things provides xlr inputs and presumably amplifiers.

I am not very comfortable with the dr-60d form factor and would like a run and gun rig with good quality sound. At first I thought of spending the cash needed for the mix -pre d to mount it at the bottom of the gh4 but it seems that it is quite big for the camera. I was wondering if you have any info about how the DMW-YAGH will be quality wise in comparison to the Mix Pre d and the Dr-60d. I know the mix re d has the convenience of using aa batteries whereas the DMW-YAGH needs external power, but I am mainly interested about big differences in quality, if any.

I also like the idead of having one output of the mix pre d to the camera and the other to the dr-60d for backup.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Dmw - YAGH
on Mar 29, 2014 at 2:25:59 pm

Hello Nikos and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The DR-60D and YAGH are very different animals. The TASCAM unit is a preamp/mixer/recorder.

You say run and gun. Either configuration with a DSLR seems ungainly and awkward for real run and gun.

Does the GH4 record audio well even with the YAGH? Many DSLRs don't do audio well.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Mar 29, 2014 at 4:13:25 pm

I don't believe it does audio very well. I haven't used it yet. But that's why I am considering the Mix pre D for my next documentary.
Would you think that is a better solution than the Yagh?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 29, 2014 at 7:17:38 pm

The MixPreD is a good mixer, but it's not a recorder.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 30, 2014 at 1:46:59 am

My impression from reading about the dmw-yagh is it will deliver professional audio. It has xlr inputs, mic/line and phantom power and on-board level control and metering. I haven't seen any hands-on reviews of it, but the specs look good. And from a video point of view the dmw-yagh delievers tremendous additional video benefits. Here's a blurb about it.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Apr 1, 2014 at 8:23:28 am

Hi Nikos - the specs say the $1998 DMW-YAGH
samples at 48kHz with 16-bit quantization. That's OK for ENG, but not good enough for cinema or serious doc work.

I would only buy the YAGH
if I needed quad SDI out - but I would not buy it for its preamps.

You'd be better off with something like this $1750 used Sound Devices 702. And you'd save yourself a little money.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:54:04 pm

Thanks, I guess I'll be using my DR-60 d hanged in front of me.
I know that the mix pre d is not a recorder, it is just more ergonomic to have it under the camera to watch the levels and send the line out to both tascam and the camera for sync later. I might buy it later on as I am investing now on the ntg3.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:56:47 pm

And it's a terrific pre so it'll sound great.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Apr 2, 2014 at 8:08:21 pm

Purely theoretically for the moment, but what would the ideal gain setting on the dr60d be if I am going to use the mix pre d infront of it?

Return to posts index

Tim Neighbors
on Jun 2, 2014 at 9:19:10 pm

I just got my DMW-YAGH with the GH4 and now I want to get rid of it. It doesn't seem very portable if you have to carry around an additional battery pack wired to your DMW-YAGH. It also greatly inhibits the articulation range of the camera's flip-out display. ...and it costs $2000. For that price it should have a built in recorder for audio, if not video too. But its just an interface. It does give you the ability to output 4:2:2 4K and HD ...if you can afford to buy one of the external recorders and are willing to carry that around too. If you are using it in the studio however, it may be a necessary buy.

Return to posts index

Robin Smith
on Jun 12, 2014 at 10:40:20 am

The Hawk-Woods Panasonic GH4/YAGH Power Adaptor
This BPU (Sony BP Type) adaptor from Hawk-Woods offers a nominal battery voltage via a standard power-con (D-Type) out-put. This unit is supplied with 2 cables, a Power-Con to XLR Female plus a 1.5m Power-Con extension cable. This makes our power solution ideal for using on a rig via a velcro strip, in a belt pouch or even just slipped into a pocket. This solution retains the flexibility of using the GH4 and YAGH combined as a hand held camera, as well as on a tripod or rig. With the YAGH not having an included power supply this unit makes an invaluable addition to your GH4 Kit. Contact us at sales@hawkwoods.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]