FORUMS: list search recent posts

mixer for auditorium

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
mixer for auditorium
on Mar 11, 2014 at 10:46:33 pm

Need rec: for mixer for a school auditorium. Need a good mixer for multiple mike inputs, multiple monitors including stage monitors so performers can hear themselves. And hopefully outputs that would be video friendly. Plenty of in/out with room to grow.

Any suggestions?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: mixer for auditorium
on Mar 12, 2014 at 12:14:17 am

Number of input channels?
Budget?
Without knowing those, the sky's the limit.

Does this need to be rugged enough for ham-fisted clueless students to abuse?
Or will it be used under adult supervision? How long does it need to last?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: mixer for auditorium some details
on Mar 12, 2014 at 5:15:01 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Mar 13, 2014 at 3:40:52 am

Ok. 24 inputs give or take.

connection to computer for live adjustments/recordings.

8 outputs (4 stereo pairs)

rugged but installed so doesn't not need to be portable or bullet proof.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:20:41 am

What is "plenty".
I mixed a stadium concert. That desk had plenty of capacity but a bit overboard for a school.
How many channels exactly do you need now, and how many perhaps going forward. How many monitor mixes do you want to set up. Does it need any onboard effects???
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 12, 2014 at 4:27:13 pm

Thanks Peter and Richard,

I know these are all key variables. I assume there are sweet spots at various price points where you get the best bang for the buck? Meaning quality + as many input/outputs as possible.

Yes it needs to be rugged - but not bullet proof. It will be a console in a control room in the back of an auditorium not a portable.

It's tough proposing purchases for a school since we are never given a budget upfront.

I've set up a meeting for next week to go over what the needs of the drama teacher and music teacher are.

I will count the number of speakers in the auditorium and add a couple of extras for the on-stage monitors plus the exports I need for our cameras though I'm thinking a feed to a computer audio program might be better?

Is there a brand/brands you recommend that have a good selection at different price point where I can start to get the feel of what you get for how much?

Any features beyond ins and outs I should look for. If this is too vague I'll post back after meeting.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 13, 2014 at 12:28:44 pm

In my area, Craig's List has an overabundance of mixing consoles. As long as you can go and inspect/test them before deciding, IMHO, it is a great way to get what you need at a very good price. In fact, you could probably get TWO of them (a "hot spare") for what a new one would cost. For example, Mackie Onyx 24-4 for $495! That is 1/3 the street price.

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:02:40 pm

Craig,

As far as manufacturers you might want to check out:

Richard's idea of a Mackie Onyx is a good one (new or used).
I'd also look at the Presonus StudioLive series.
Allen & Heath is another option.

Good Luck!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]