FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mic for "Guided Tour" Scene?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Nutkins
Mic for "Guided Tour" Scene?
on Mar 8, 2014 at 4:47:02 pm

Hi there,

I'm currently working on a documentary and will soon be filming a scene in which an interview subject will show us around the interior of a building on camera.

We currently only have a short-shotgun mic (Sennheiser MKH50) with a boom. Would this set-up be very problematic for a scene like this? I am worried that there will be a great disparity in positioning/volume as the subject projects his voice in front of him, to the side, back to the camera etc depending on where his head is pointed.

Any suggestions on whether this could work (and the best way to go about it) or an alternative solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Stephen Benassu
Re: Mic for "Guided Tour" Scene?
on Mar 9, 2014 at 7:08:58 am

With the info provided, I would recommend a wireless lavalier mic. Trying to boom an on-the-fly "walk and talk" can be very difficult. Think about boom shadows, doorways, narrow corridors. If you have them, and want to get fancy, use 2 lavs, one on either side of his chest (on the jacket lapels for instance), to help with head turning while speaking. Or, best of all, hire a sound guy!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 9, 2014 at 7:45:23 am

Wow. I can't think of a worse combination than a boom mic and a walk-n-talk tour.

Wireless body mic (lav, or even better a "headset" mic) would be the typical suitable solution.

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Mar 12, 2014 at 7:47:13 pm

A headset may be visually challenging for a documentary, although it will certainly provide excellent sound.

I love the idea of two wireless lavs on either side of the speaker as they walk and talk.

I'd use overcovers/undercovers to hide the lavs under the topmost layer of clothing.

Rich

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]