FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rode NT5 or Rode NTG-2?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cole McCord
Rode NT5 or Rode NTG-2?
on Mar 8, 2014 at 2:16:30 am

I'm getting a microphone soon for filming, indoor AND outdoor and can only get one microphone, and don't have the highest budget, but will only have, max $300, if that, and will need a mic, shock mount, and windshield, and was wondering which microphone I should get from the two mentioned above, pros and cons of both, and maybe personal experience from you guys? Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Rode NT5 or Rode NTG-2?
on Mar 8, 2014 at 11:11:31 am

Ok how about I put your question another way....If you had to eat a meal and could have ONLY one utensil would you choose a knife, fork or spoon?
Yes you might be able to do things with just one item but it would be less than ideal, and the same is true for location sound.

The NTG2 is a low cost mic that delivers ok results... but there are better mics.
The NT5 mic would be ok for indoors.... but there are better mics.

What are you recording on to? As the Rode NT2 and a Zoom H4n are not a good combination due to the preamps in the H4n.

If your budget is so low for sound are you actually ready to do the project?

Return to posts index

Cole McCord
on Mar 9, 2014 at 8:06:08 pm
Last Edited By Cole McCord on Mar 9, 2014 at 8:08:38 pm

Well, I'm only in highschool which is why my budget is so low, and most of my stuff is going to be on the internet (YouTube and Vimeo) so the quality doesn't have to be top notch, and I am recording into a Zoom H4n.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Mar 9, 2014 at 11:47:31 pm

Nothing wrong with having a low budget.... but the NTG2 and H4n are a bad combination (the NTG2 has a low output level and the H4n has poor preamps)and if you do a search through forums MANY other people have had problems with that combination.

But if you had to buy just one mic then a short shotgun would be the best have a look at the Audio Technica or Sennheiser mics there might be some in your price range.

Do you already have the Zoom H4n or maybe use a different recorder?

Return to posts index

Cole McCord
on Mar 9, 2014 at 11:56:52 pm

Thanks, I have heard from other forums about the Zoom/NTG-2 problem, and I was also looking at the Audio Technica AT897, do you know how that fares against the other two? And, yes I already have the Zoom H4n.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Mar 10, 2014 at 12:06:52 am

No I haven't heard how the Audio Technica / H4n combination goes.
If you are after a LOW cost Hypercardioid mic have a look at the Samson CO2 it's my 'goto' indoor mic..... I have used one for the past couple of years and am VERY impressed with the mic, BUT it needs a VERY good windsheild if used outdoors (better than the one supplied)
Here is some TV commercials done with the Samson CO2
http://www.mybudget.com.au/testimonials

Return to posts index

Cole McCord
on Mar 10, 2014 at 12:11:28 am

Thanks, the audio sounds great. So do Cardioid microphones perform well enough outdoors for dialogue given there is a good wind shield on it?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Mar 10, 2014 at 12:17:34 am

Yes you are correct, cardioid mics do work well outdoors BUT the problem comes when you start working in 'less than perfect' locations and thats where you need a mic with a bit more side noise rejection.

Return to posts index

Cole McCord
on Mar 10, 2014 at 12:21:50 am

Okay, Thanks! I think I'll start narrowing down all the options, and thanks again for the help!

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Mar 10, 2014 at 3:57:59 pm

The NTG-2 and AT897 have the same low volume issues when matched with low-budget recorders like the H4n or DR-100.

On top of that, you are not going to get a boom-pole, shock-mount, wind protection, etc. with only a $300 budget (unless you DIY those items).

You haven't let us know what audio recorder you will be using, but since you were asking about the NTG-2 and AT897 I'll assume that you want to plug directly into the camera..

Since you're in high school and more of a hobbyist at this point I would recommend the Rode VideoMic. You can get the mic, a short boom-pole, 10' cable and a wind-buster (the shock-mount is built-in) for under $200 at places like B&H. That may be the place to start, for you.

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]