FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's an OEM file?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Davis
What's an OEM file?
on Feb 27, 2014 at 10:06:50 pm

My employer has asked me to work on changing a video project done some time ago with an external company, before i was hired.

Most of the changes are easy enough, but I'm adding some additional voiced over audio in to section where there is music voice and SFX all mixed together. So I've asked for the source files.

The external company asked what format we'd need, I gave several options. The guy came back saying that he would send me the OEM files.

I have never heard of this format and Google was less than illuminating, they don't seem to be directly related to video or audio, at least on the sites I've found.

Has anyone ever heard of this format? Will I be able to use it?

Is this guy making my life difficult or am I just not familiar with something new and exciting?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: What's an OEM file?
on Feb 28, 2014 at 12:25:32 pm

I've never heard of it in the video sense, but you probably found it to mean Original Equipment Manufacturer - the company the originally produced a part for another company. Such as a Mopar oil filter is OEM for Chrysler products but a FRAM filter is not.

I'm guessing he's just referring to the original files and not any particular flavor of digital file.

Steve

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:00:16 pm
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:00:49 pm

As Mr. Kownacki said, "OEM" is not a file or codec type. It is a loose, generic description that really doesn't mean anything definable in this context. If in doubt ask for WAV or AIFF as they are the "baseline", uncompressed audio formats.

It would have been particularly helpful if you had mentioned the platform (PC? Mac?) and editing software you are using. But surely you can review the audio import function and see a list of the different file types it accepts.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:31:50 pm

Or perhaps he is using the wrong acronym and he actually means OMF?

Steve

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 28, 2014 at 3:06:55 pm

I vote for OMF (Open Media Framework). That would make sense.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Matt Davis
on Feb 28, 2014 at 11:53:01 pm

Thanks for the responses. I followed up with him. It was a typo. He'd meant OMF files. Which some of you clued into and which makes WAY more sense.

Thanks all!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]