FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sanken COS-11D variants

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Withington
Sanken COS-11D variants
on Feb 20, 2014 at 6:04:06 pm
Last Edited By Ben Withington on Feb 20, 2014 at 7:35:14 pm

Hey all, looking for some advice on buying the Sanken COS-11D. I am definitely set on getting this model but am a bit confused on getting the one I want. 2/4 of the listings on B&H note that the variant features "reduced sensitivity" which, after more research, I found out is the "red mark" version of the mic which B&H makes no mention of.

The other listings don't mention reduced sensitivity but one says it's particularly "optimized for digital transmitters". However, other sites like locationsound.com say that the microphone, in general, was built to address RFI in digital transmitters and that they are ideal for using with Lectrosonics SM wireless transmitters, which are digital. I understand that they could be mistaken but I'm having a hard time filtering through and finding exactly what I want to buy and where to ensure the mic that arrives is the one that I want.

I want a Sanken COS-11D with high sensitivity and ideal for use with digital transmitters (if that's even a real distinction between variants). I was going to contact Sanken directly but their contact page seems to be broken.

UPDATE: Contacted Gotham sound about their COS11/G3 package and they said it includes the flat frequency COS11 (the one I want). I was considering the G3 receiver and transmitters for the mics but hadn't made a decision yet. Does this look like a good deal to you guys?: https://www.gothamsound.com/product/ew-112-p-g3-wireless-system-w-cos-11d

The three star rating from 42 ratings worries me but those don't always mean a whole lot.

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
Re: Sanken COS-11D variants
on Feb 20, 2014 at 7:38:12 pm

Any new Sanken COS-11 that you buy will be the "D" version, which is the latest model designed to suppress RF interference from Digital transmitters like those made by Zaxcom or Sony. Lectrosonics transmitters, while "Digital Hybrid", use analog transmission with digital processing.

Basically, the only thing you need to worry about is getting the right connector and wiring for the brand of transmitter that you are going to use it for.

If you are using a Lectrosonics SM series, or a UM400"a", then you will want the COS-11 with a Switchcraft TA5F connector wired for "Servo Bias".

If you are using an older Lectrosonics transmitter, then you want the same connector, but wired for "Universal" operation.

If you have a Zaxcom transmitter, then you want it with the Lemo-3P connector.

I wouldn't recommend the reduced sensitivity, or "Red Dot" version unless you plan on recording high SPL audio. Normal sensitivity is fine for standard dialog.

Return to posts index

Ben Withington
Re: Sanken COS-11D variants
on Feb 27, 2014 at 4:33:58 am

Thanks Michael, that's very helpful. Gotham Sound also verified for me that they sell the unattenuated version unless otherwise noted. At this point if I need particularly specialized microphone setups, I'll just rent.

I'm putting together my starter package and am gravitating towards getting Gotham's combo with the G3 packs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]