FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D with MKH-416 in hot shoe, cabled to separate recorder?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shannon Romines
5D with MKH-416 in hot shoe, cabled to separate recorder?
on Feb 18, 2014 at 4:34:53 pm

I have what may be a crazy question...

Basically, what I really want is a C100, but I'm trying to achieve the same results with a 5D. I'm wondering if it's possible to mount my good shotgun mic on the 5D using the hot shoe and a shock mount, and cable it separately to a recorder - the idea is to benefit from the mic being pointed at the same thing as the camera, in the absence of a sound person, and to get better quality audio than I could using the Rhode Videomic straight to the 5D. Has anyone tried this? I'll be using a 24-70mm lens, so it's also possible the mic would be visible in the wide shots. I don't own the camera yet, or I'd just try it.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: 5D with MKH-416 in hot shoe, cabled to separate recorder?
on Feb 18, 2014 at 5:55:34 pm

You would need to use a slate as a sync point for post syncing the footage as it is recorded double system. You could do it manually which is very easy or use Plural Eyes.

I use a real slate (Clapper) and also use one I have for my iPad.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

Stephen Benassu
on Feb 18, 2014 at 11:08:52 pm

That doesn't sound crazy to me, as I really hate the audio portion of the 5D. Perhaps something like a Zoom H4n attached to your belt or in a fanny pack could work. I don't know about the mic getting in the wide shot or not. You'll have to experiment with that and perhaps come up with a custom mount using the hot shoe. Remember, ALL mics sound better when closer to the speaker.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 20, 2014 at 2:20:30 am

A mic mounted ON a camera represents one of the worst positions you can chose IF you have any alternative. Now, yes, taking your mic and sealing it in a paint bucket upon which you are standing, is significantly worse. But still, the only reason to mount a mic on a camera is because ALL you care about is random environmental sounds to act as a general bed for your soundtrack. Or because you're in a "run and gun" situation and you have no choice. If it's your ONLY option, you can zoom out on your camera as wide as possible, and stick your entire camera into a subjects face and maybe get a decent talking head recording from very close - but it will underperform a $25 stick mic that you can actually get in a proper interview position.

That's just the physics of sound.

So I'd be very wary of spending a lot of time trying to mount a slightly better mic in a undeniably lousy position.

My 2 cents.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]