FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording with two mics, but only getting one A/1 & A/2 in FCP featuring both mics.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Nussbaum
Recording with two mics, but only getting one A/1 & A/2 in FCP featuring both mics.
on Feb 11, 2014 at 12:00:45 am

To be clear, I thought that with two mics going through a 302 sound device mixer then to my panasonic HPX170, that I would get each mic with it's own individual timeline.

Am I doing something wrong?

Return to posts index

Stephen Benassu
Re: Recording with two mics, but only getting one A/1 & A/2 in FCP featuring both mics.
on Feb 11, 2014 at 12:57:09 am

My first troubleshooting question is; did you actually record to two channels on the camera? Were you getting both left and right meters bouncing while recording? I'm not sure what you mean by "A/1 & A/2 featuring both mics"? Perhaps both channels on your mixer were center panned thus sending a mix of both mics to each camera channel?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Recording with two mics, but only getting one A/1 & A/2 in FCP featuring both mics.
on Feb 11, 2014 at 2:06:38 am

Hello David and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Unless you had the mic pan switches in Left and Right for those two inputs, you did not.

If they were in the center position, you recorded both mics to both tracks; dual mono.

If you were listening and heard each mic in a different headphone, you may have recorded them split left and right unless the input configuration of your camera was not set properly.

If you play the file back in the camera, do you hear each voice on a different side? If so, adjust the mixer pan controls to full left and right.

If the two waveforms for left and right appear identical, then you're hosed. If they appear to indicate level shifts from one track to the next, then you have a FCP mixer pan adjustment to make.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Feb 11, 2014 at 9:23:24 am

Are having a camera problem here or an FCP problem?

Was the audio panned successfully in your headphones AT THE CAMERA when you recorded. If so then you DO have split track.

If it is just that when it hits FCP timeline it not as you expected then select the audio track in FCP so its highlighted, modify, stereo pair and un pair the 2 tracks. Now the 2 tracks on the FCP timeline will behave separately.

Now establish if the audio is truly MIXED in which case youre dead in the water as far as the recorded audio is concerned, or merely panned centre so they sound combined / mixed but are indeed separate. Play a part with 1 person speaking and open the audio mixer tool and drop the fader on the other!
You can ofcourse pan them left and right if that helps. This can be done in the modify menu of on the audio mixer tool.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]