FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noisy Mic, Problems with new mic, or is it a problem?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Gapp
Noisy Mic, Problems with new mic, or is it a problem?
on Feb 1, 2014 at 1:09:20 am

Hello, I am new to the audio side of video. I recently purchased the sennhieser mke 600 shotgun mic.

I was expecting the mic to be almost completely quite in terms of noise except for picking up room noise.

What I hear through my separate recorder with the gained turned up a little is a frequent but inconsistent soft tisk tisk as if were picking up some electrical interference. I have an xlr to half to 3.5mm, which by themselves are solid and do not pickup any noise,connected directly to the microphone, I have tried putting it on the end of a 20ft xlr cable also. I keep getting this soft tisk tisk in and out noise as if the microphones electronics are putting it out.

Please help me here, is this normal? I would rather not have this in my audio for how much money I spent on this mic.

Thanks Everyone

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Noisy Mic, Problems with new mic, or is it a problem?
on Feb 1, 2014 at 9:11:47 am

No it not normal....for a mic to be noisey.

Firstly is it possible to tell us where pins 1, 2, &3 are connected to on the 3.5mm plug?
Or gently pull apart the XLR and tell us what is connected to each pin?

What sort of recorder are you using?

Return to posts index

Matthew Gapp
on Feb 1, 2014 at 4:57:43 pm
Last Edited By Matthew Gapp on Feb 1, 2014 at 7:09:59 pm

(UPDATED) The xlr adapter is the RadioShack 274-016c ; It says that Hi-z Unbalanced, low z balanced. The adapter then goes from a half pin to a 3.5mm pin and into my roland r-05 recorder through the mic 3.5mm input. I also have tried using a hosa adapter, but I think that something has gone terribly wrong with that. The noise from that (static) is constant and unbearable and changes whenever I move the cord.

As far as the radio shack one goes, I think it is a mono, not a dual mono, not sure if this would be causing noise or not?

Should I RMA my mic?

Here is a picture of the wiring diagram from the side of the xlr to half adapter.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Feb 1, 2014 at 9:04:13 pm
Last Edited By Brian Reynolds on Feb 1, 2014 at 9:14:43 pm

Oh boy where to start.... Lets make the assumption the mic is good and the recorder is good, its the stuff between thats the problem....
Just go for a cable like this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/971355-REG/microphone_madness_mm_3pxl...

Or
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/971351-REG/microphone_madness_mm_dxlr...

You are going from a 'balanced' o/p of the mic into a transformer addapter which is wrong and not needed, comming out on a 6.5mm (mono)+(unbalanced) plug then going through a 6.5(mono)-3.5(stereo) converter, then going into a recorder with a 3.5mm stereo input.

The simple fact that you got ANY signal through is amazing...

Return to posts index

Matthew Gapp
on Feb 1, 2014 at 9:58:17 pm

Can you explain what "balanced" means?

Would a cable such as this work?: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068NZD/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=U...

This is the same cable that I had last time before I got the radioshack transformer adapter; but it had a lot of noise. I ordered it thinking I'll give it another try. The reason being I ordered last night, and it is already shipped.

Also, could the microphone of been damaged if I put a ni-mh battery in it? The battery was almost dead, so I decided to try a fresh alkaline battery in it instead.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Feb 1, 2014 at 10:53:48 pm
Last Edited By Brian Reynolds on Feb 1, 2014 at 10:58:29 pm

Yes the cable from amazon is the correct one to use.

A cable may 'look' the same but often the internal connections are different. Recorders (MP3, camcorders, computers, note takers etc) are all using the same size connectors but often they are configured differently in the machine.

No a NiMh battery won't damage the mic (if inserted correctly)

Balanced v Unbalanced audio.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

Return to posts index

Matthew Gapp
on Feb 2, 2014 at 12:13:55 am

Ok thanks, Ill see how the next adapter performs.

In the mindset of eliminating variables; do recorders like the roland- ro5( lacking xlr direct connection) have problems with creating noise in their mini input. Is the recorder something that you would look at if the adapter still is noisy or would you say the microphone is the more prone variable?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Feb 2, 2014 at 2:54:25 pm

XLR connectors have been the professional standard for many decades, and for good reason.
3.5mm plugs and sockets have NOT been regarded as professional level connectors.... Also for good reason.
Current equipment use has often blurred that line between pro and non pro gear and with that shift reliability has slightly taken a backseat compared to price.
3.5 mm connections are reliable with careful use.

Return to posts index

Matthew Gapp
on Feb 2, 2014 at 7:10:23 pm

Sorry for all these questions, but I am learning a lot.

What do you mean by careful use exactly?

Also, have you ever experienced problems with new mics that create noise?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Feb 3, 2014 at 3:05:20 am

What do you mean by careful use exactly?

A professional would connect a mic in and out of a recorder several times a day... 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year, rain hail or shine....XLR's can cope 3.5mm connectors won't. How long would a pocket recorder last in the desert or jungle? ..... thats what I mean by careful.

Also, have you ever experienced problems with new mics that create noise?

NO.... In 30+ years of broadcasting only once I had a NEW mic not work....Just NO output at all but that was a long time ago before the quality control they have these days. (and it was a cheapie mic as well)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 3, 2014 at 5:33:30 am

Why does the mono mini plug have two rings? Isn't that stereo? Or because it's fed from only one xlr it's dual mono?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Feb 3, 2014 at 6:50:12 am
Last Edited By Brian Reynolds on Feb 3, 2014 at 7:45:18 am

3.5mm connectors can be wired in many ways and this is often what causes so much confusion.

Firstly a 3.5mm MONO connector has 2 connections tip (signal +) and the sleeve (signal -)

A standard STEREO 3.5mm is wired on the 3 connections. tip (Left +) the ring (Right +) and the sleeve (signal -)
This is the standard for most DSLR / Video cameras and handheld recorders like the H4n (on the back) as well as Headphones and Ear Bugs used on MP3 players.

DUAL MONO this is to get the same signal to both Left & Right of the DSLR / Video camera....
The (signal +) must go to BOTH the 3.5mm tip & ring and the (signal -) goes to the sleeve.
This configuration is the standard that is required by most DSLR / Video camera people.

On the other end the standard XLR connections are
Pin 1 on the XLR is the shield used for blocking out interference on 'Balanced' audio equipment. (and does NOT carry any signal)
Pin 2 on the XLR is (signal +)
Pin 3 on the XLR is (signal -)

Radio mics using 3.5mm connections are different again and we won't go into that at this time.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 4, 2014 at 2:04:01 am

[Brian Reynolds] "a 3.5mm MONO connector has 2 connections tip (signal +) and the sleeve (signal -)
"

Doesn't that equal only one ring (+ the tip)?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Feb 4, 2014 at 3:50:10 am

Here is some more info for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 4, 2014 at 6:01:07 am

exactly: the two mono plugs have one ring the stereo plug has two.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Feb 4, 2014 at 7:57:48 am

I assume that you are counting the 'metal' connection rings and not the plastic insulation?

There are 3.5mm connectors out there with 2 'metal' rings but they are used for mobile phones etc.

Return to posts index

Matthew Gapp
on Feb 6, 2014 at 3:16:36 am

What would be a good xlr based portable recorder for under 500 dollars. I want to have almost no noise in the sound. The r-05 i figured was the main problem for being noisy. I have tried all gains and levels.

I really really really hate noise and static. I want professional sound.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Feb 6, 2014 at 6:39:44 am

Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick two.....

If there was a GREAT recorder under $500 we would ALL have one.
It's just a case the more $$$$ you spend the better it is.

http://www.sixside.com/fast_good_cheap.asp

Return to posts index

Matthew Gapp
on Feb 6, 2014 at 6:47:38 am

I totally understand what you mean by that.

Ill pick good and cheapish,

What would you recommend?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Feb 8, 2014 at 11:53:31 pm

There is a lot of stuff about recorders, the pro's and con's...
The range is changing on a monthly basis, just find one that suits your needs 'now' with the full knowledge that in a years time your needs and what's available will be totally different.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]