FORUMS: list search recent posts

recording dialog in a car

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
recording dialog in a car
on Jan 31, 2014 at 2:55:24 am

the car will be non-moving. two front seat actors. i have g2 SENNHEISER kits. countryman lavs. various xlr mikes from hypercardoid to hand helds. My guess is the lavs are the way to go. perhaps on the visor or on the actors.

I have a 302 mixer. will cordless work from inside a car with the windows down? the only small mike i have with xlr is E6s. Our AT4053 I guess could be mounted on a visor but i think not having space behind it could be a problem.

any suggestions?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Stephen Benassu
Re: recording dialog in a car
on Jan 31, 2014 at 3:05:55 am

I would lav the actors. With windows open and car not moving, you should not have a problem with wireless reception, assuming receivers will be close. I'd place the drivers mic off center on his/her right, and passenger off center to the left as that will probably be the way they are facing if they are conversing back and forth. I've hidden them in the sun visors before and that worked almost as well, Test it beforehand of course, and you should be fine.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 1, 2014 at 6:37:41 am

thanks. not sure where the cam will be but i'll go wireless to the cam as well. it's less than a minute of dialog so we should have ample time for a sound test.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 6, 2014 at 8:41:39 pm

I've found you can get hollow sounding audio in cars due in part to phasing between the mics. There's a lot of sound bouncing off reflective surfaces. If you hear that, try moving the mics a bit and see if that helps. Having the windows open will definitely help.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]