FORUMS: list search recent posts

lavalier mic/magic lantern

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Engin Torker
lavalier mic/magic lantern
on Jan 21, 2014 at 2:40:15 pm

Hello,

I know most of you have irritated even reading the subject but I can't really afford more and couldn't find any better place than our warm creative cow to ask this, so please bear with me.

I've ordered an Audio-Technica ATR3350 from amazon but it's delayed in the customs process (I live in Turkey) and I have a small, talking heads job coming up, so I had to look around for some similar priced alternatives.

On some local store I've found a very similar little thing called "Mito YK-04" It was only 10 dollars so I took the risk.

It has the same 6m cable, but this one works with an AA battery which is a plus I guess. And what's really interesting is that at the end of the 6m cable it has a 3.5mm jack and there's a seperate tube for the battery with a 3.5mm female at one side and 1/4 male at the other. So I've bought an 1/4 to 3.5 adapter for directly going into my 550D.

It works just fine but coming to my question, I've just took the 3.5 jack at the end of the cable and put it directly into camera. So without any power from the battery. Then on the magic lantern I've turned the "mic power" ON.

When it was on battery power I had the analog gain at 32db, testing my friends voice. But with the power coming from the camera it was peaking a little with the same voice, so I switched to 29 db.

So my question is do you think it would harm the microphone? Is the power coming from the 550D too much or should I be happy to not to be dependant on the AA battery and go with it?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: lavalier mic/magic lantern
on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:36:39 pm
Last Edited By Eric Toline on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:55:22 pm

Not a problem. The camera mic voltage is designed to power non powered mics that work on 5 volts DC or less. Set your levels properly and you'll be fine.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:01:33 pm

Yes, I concur with Mr. Toline. You are most likely just fine and, as you say, free of the extra battery pack.

Return to posts index

Engin Torker
on Jan 21, 2014 at 8:19:08 pm
Last Edited By Engin Torker on Jan 21, 2014 at 8:54:02 pm

Thank you so much for your quick responses. That's a relief.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]