FORUMS: list search recent posts

H4N Zoom recorder level issue

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert van Halteren
H4N Zoom recorder level issue
on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:01:55 am

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the H4N zoom recorder. I use this recorder in conjunction with a Rode NTG-2
or a panasonic wireless set to record decent audio for video interviews.

However, to get proper audio levels I have to crank up the input almost till the limit (for both the wireless set as well as the shotgun mic), and completely to the limit if I'm using a Blimp or something alike. If I have a wider shot, meaning I can't get the mic as close as possible, my levels are usually a bit lower than I'd prefer for good audio quality.

I have a feeling that I'm doing something wrong, or perhaps have a setting wrong. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks in Advance!
Robert

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: H4N Zoom recorder level issue
on Jan 16, 2014 at 9:45:27 pm

The H4n and Rode NTG2 are not a good combination.... there are MANY postings on forums about exactly the problem you are experiencing.
How to get around it?
Get a higher output mic.... Or get a different recorder with better gain and lower noise floor levels... Or use a mixer to get the level up between the mic and the recorder.

Return to posts index

Robert van Halteren
on Jan 17, 2014 at 9:37:09 am

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the response. Is the same true for my wireless set? I'm using a Sehnheiser EW 112-P G3 set with a ME 2 Clip-on microphone (omni directional).

Also, would you have any suggestions for a shotgun mic (and perhaps a lav mic) hat's better suitable when on a limited budget.

I've been suggested a Sennheiser MKH 416 and for a lav mic a Tram TR50 but as far as the shotgun mic goes, that's really stretching my budget. I don't mind paying more than I did for the NTG2 (I should have known...) but this difference is slightly too big.

Lastly, when looking for microphones to use into conjunction with the ZOOM H4N, what specs should I look for so I know these mics won't cause the same issue?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Best,
Robert

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:12:03 am

I would personally NEVER run a mic directly into the H4n or H6 without going through a mixer.
When you go straight in how do you ride levels? Which is a basic of location recording.... It's NOT set and forget.
I use 416's, Mkh 60's, Mkh 8060, and Hyper Cardioid mics, G2/3 and Sony Radio mics....So different mics for different situations I have not yet found just one mic to do it all.
A lot of people I know love the Rode NTG 3 as a shotgun mic but have never had the need to buy/use one.

There maybe others on the forum that have tried different mics direct to the H4n that may give better advice than myself.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]