FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time code slate

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Benassu
Time code slate
on Jan 16, 2014 at 3:10:40 am

I'm just entering the wonderful world of syncing camera and external sound recorder with time code.. (I now have a Sound Devices 664) My question is...why use a time code slate if the camera and audio recorder are recording at the same frame rate and the time code is jammed? Once the files get to post they should be "easily" ( I know, nothing is easy) matched as the frame rates are equal and there is time code stamped on each take? What am I missing?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Time code slate
on Jan 16, 2014 at 2:22:40 pm

Your missing time code drift between the recorder and the camera depending on the accuracy of the internal clocks. You can use a dumb slate with no TC and use the clap and sticks closing to align the audio & picture. Works very well. Feature films still use the dumb slate today.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Time code slate
on Jan 18, 2014 at 4:21:48 pm

I'd add that if you're recording long programs, the just timecode won't sync audio & video for long. The sync will drift. What's usually used is a master clock that generates both word sync (which the SD can use) and video reference (for the camera). However, none of the Blackmagic cameras have a genlock input, so that's not possible. If you're shooting short scenes, then no problem. Otherwise, you'll have to adjust sync in post by cutting the audio when you lose sync and slipping it back into sync.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]