FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange clipping on Zoom H4n file at -12db

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Byrne
Strange clipping on Zoom H4n file at -12db
on Jan 13, 2014 at 10:48:23 pm
Last Edited By Daniel Byrne on Jan 13, 2014 at 10:50:19 pm

I recorded some audio for a project on my Zoom 4Hn and when I uploaded the files I noticed the sound was distorted somewhat.

I looked at the files and it seems as if the files are being clipped at -12db. When I was recording the levels didn't go above -6db and now everything is truncated at -12db.

I recoding with a radio lav, plugged into the XLR port.

See clip below.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Strange clipping on Zoom H4n file at -12db
on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:32:14 am

That'll be on the front end inputs. I had very similar problem with mine when fed from a line source. Even when input gain was correctly setup I get that flat lining.
Get 2 z 20 DVD pads fir the inputs and that fixed mine
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Daniel Byrne
on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:08:44 pm

Thanks Peter for help.

However, I'm pretty new to audio, so could you explain what you mean when you say front end inputs.

Also I tried to google 'z 20 DVD pads', but didn't have any luck. Could you send me a link or let me know what i should be searching for.

Thanks
Daniel

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 14, 2014 at 5:20:56 pm

Sorry I meant -20db.
Distortion can happen at many stages. At the mic capsule, the mic transmitter sensitivity , the receiver, or the recorders input electronics, (this case) or the recording level settings. All must be aligned optimally.
The clue to yours us that the level is not high and a flat line clip has taken place so I guess it's the input stage.
Plus I had exactly same with a Zoom.
The -20 dbpads will bring a hot (pro level ) feed back a touch and stop it hitting the inputs too hard .
Mine were off eBay .
Peter

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 14, 2014 at 6:58:32 pm

This happened all the time with the Sony BVM35 Beta recorder. The front end would clip very easily. If I saw the inputs to the deck set lower than 5 (out of 10), it was time for a pad. It's always worst with high output mics.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Daniel Byrne
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:44:46 pm

The Lav's that i use are Seinnheiser G3's. I haven't explored them too much, however I wondered if the sensitivity on the transmitter would work like a pad if it dialed it down enough? (-20db)

I just watched a youtube video where someone suggested setting the Sensitivity (transmitter) and AF Out (on the receiver) both to roughly around -12db (where the Sensitivity was already).

The Sensitivity adjustment I understand what it is doing, but can anyone give me a simple explanation of the AF Out setting?

thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:09:08 am

Were you running compressors or limiters on the Zoom?
I've had similar looking waveforms on some recordings done both the H4n and the H6 when the compressor / limiter was 'on'

Return to posts index

Daniel Byrne
on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:22:53 am

No, compressors or limiters were off.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 15, 2014 at 8:16:51 am

I had no precessing in on mine either, just plain too hot from a pro level mixer for the electronics.
This is what i bought
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190680441716?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p39...
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]