FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sample Rates: Mixing foley (96kHz/24bit) + Dialogue (48kHz/24bit)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dilly Hussain
Sample Rates: Mixing foley (96kHz/24bit) + Dialogue (48kHz/24bit)
on Jan 10, 2014 at 4:35:00 pm

Hi,

Im doing some foley/dialogue capture for a project. I have recorded my foley at 96kHz/24bit and dialogue at 48kHz/24bit which will need to be mixed and provided to the video editor.

My research suggests foley should be recorded at 96kHz/24bit, however on the other hand sound on DVD is exported in 48kHz. So where does the 96kHz fit in the workflow? My DAW (Cubase 5) will not accept sounds with varying sample rates to be mixed in a single project.

I have considered downsampling, but that would deafeat the purpose of capturing at 96k, but just wanted to get some professional feedback.

My aim is to provide the video editor with audio that is manageable in either FCP/PremierePro

Thank you

Dilly. H

Visual Effects UG3 (BSc)
Birmingham City University

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dilly-hussain/5b/88b/308

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Sample Rates: Mixing foley (96kHz/24bit) + Dialogue (48kHz/24bit)
on Jan 10, 2014 at 5:38:50 pm

Not clear what is the objective of recording the Foley at 96K? Typically we record in higher rez when we anticipate doing some port-production processing. If processing is being done, then I would do the processing before down-sampling. If there is no processing of the Foley tracks, then it is not clear what is the purpose of recording at 96K? As you say, it must be down-sampled to 48K SOMEWHERE along the line to allow mixing with the rest of the project. Fortunately, downsampling from 96K to 48K is simpler than non-harmonic conversions (like 44.1K to 48K, etc.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]