FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching the audio from a past shoot

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Damian
Matching the audio from a past shoot
on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:55:15 pm

So here's the problem, I did a shoot in november and another one in late december, the audio from the 2 are different and I got a note back from the client. The main difference I hear is that the VO on December's audio is quite a bit higher, so I need to lower that. Other than that I hear a slight distortion (?).

I used the same mic (sennheiser Lav), used the same preamp, the shoot was in the same location, I think the only thing I may have done differently is raise the mic senstivitey from -21 to -18.

Any ideas of what I can do to make the December audio closer to the November audio? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you don't know the fix, at least tell me your opinion on the differences.

November Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GYo2qeol-I

December Audio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqHnBh_DOpI

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Matching the audio from a past shoot
on Jan 10, 2014 at 2:53:50 am

Hello Mike and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Both clips sound a little crunchy (distorted) to me, but the second one sounds more distorted and is louder.

Does the original audio sound like that?

I would apply something like iZotpe's RX3 DeClipper to reduce the distortion and then reduce gain on the December file so the two match.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Mike Damian
on Jan 10, 2014 at 2:42:33 pm

I don't hear the crunchy (distorted noise) on the first one, only on the second one. I don't have access to that software, but I tried running it through a declipper in Adobe Audition and just as a thought it didn't work. The clips aren't peaking in fact, they are not even close. So that's why I'm confused on how I got this distortion noise in the first place.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 18, 2014 at 10:49:34 pm

Wearing headphones I hear distortion on both recordings and crunchy is an accurate description. Somethings off about it. Even though your levels look ok on your computer, I'm thinking that maybe some part of the path was clipping or had some kind of poor signal, Did you monitor the sound while you were recording?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]