FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rode VideoMic Pro - High Pass

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Taylor
Rode VideoMic Pro - High Pass
on Dec 26, 2013 at 12:13:51 pm

Hello,

I've recently purchased the Rode VideoMic Pro for my DSLR as I am trying to improve the audio quality for my projects.

I have a job filming a live music show in the next few weeks and wanted to know the best way to go about recording the audio. I'll be fairly close to the speaker system so was thinking perhaps lowering the recording level to -10db and setting the Rode mic to the High pass filter?

Would appreciate any opinions on this set up or any other suggestions. I'm fairly new in the audio recording world.

Thanks.

Ben Taylor

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Rode VideoMic Pro - High Pass
on Dec 26, 2013 at 6:40:12 pm
Last Edited By Ty Ford on Dec 26, 2013 at 6:40:39 pm

Hi Ben and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

For truly professional results, your Rode will likely disappoint you. Live music is a beast. Typically the best you can do is take a mix from the console on one track and a mic placed in a part of the room that sounds good.

Then in post production you time align the two tracks (usually by shifting the mic audio to the right until the two waveforms line up). Moving a camera and mic around changes the time difference because the camera is closer then farther away from the sound source. You need both because the true sound of a band is partly what comes through the PA and partly what sound comes from the amps and drums.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Rode VideoMic Pro - High Pass
on Dec 27, 2013 at 4:38:23 pm
Last Edited By Al Bergstein on Dec 27, 2013 at 5:33:07 pm

I agree with Ty. I've shot a lot of live bands, and it takes a lot of practice to get it right. Get a recorder, like a Zoom, Sony or Marantz PMD661 that can plug in XLRs directly as line in from the soundboard. Get to the venue early to work it all out with the sound person.

You will be lucky if your rode gives you good results up close, unless the band is acoustic. I've been in live venues where the band is playing at over 120 decibels! There is very little likihood a mic on camera up close can handle it. It's really the wrong tool for the job. Or at best a backup. I have the same mic and would never use it as you are planning. Maybe borrow some other gear? Got a friend with a Zoom or some other good recorder?

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]