FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording with 4 wireless microphones on a two camera shoot

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erica Fellion
Recording with 4 wireless microphones on a two camera shoot
on Dec 18, 2013 at 12:23:52 am

Hi there,

Does anyone have any helpful hints or tips on how I can record audio with 4 wireless microphones into two cameras? (If there's a way to record stereo while doing this, I'd be even happier.)

I previously shot a two camera shoot with two mics where I separated the mics onto different radio channels. I used two Audio-technica PRO-88 wireless lav systems and hooked them up to one Canon XA20. The other XA20 had a mounted mic for coverage.

I want to use the same cameras with 4 lav mics for an upcoming shoot. Is there a way that I can rig this without radio interference? I'm looking into mixer/transmitter/receivers but I really don't trust my judgement in the area of audio. Help! :(

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Recording with 4 wireless microphones on a two camera shoot
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:29:21 pm

If your camera has 2 x audio inputs, and you have 4 radios that can be on sufficiently separated frequencies, thenn there isnt a problem?
When you capture to your NLE just take in both legs (as stereo) and trat them separately on the timeline.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Erica Fellion
on Dec 18, 2013 at 8:12:12 pm

There are two xlr inputs on each of the two cameras but the wireless mic systems I recently used only transmit on two separate frequencies. I'm thinking it would be better to use wireless mics that transmit across 4 separate frequencies… do you happen to know of any good quality, wireless mic systems that can do this?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:18:30 am

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sennheiser+g3&N=0&InitialSearch=ye...

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Dec 18, 2013 at 8:16:10 pm

Are the camcorders handheld or on tripods? Running stereo to two handheld camcorders would be cumbersome. If you can live with mono then this is easy. The four mics into a mixer (are they wireless or wired)? If wireless then you'll need six wireless kits. If wired then you only need two wireless kits. I'm assuming you have access to frequency agile wireless kits. Attach the transmitter, either plug-on or beltpack to an output of the mixer (be sure to match output impedance to input impedance). Each camcorder gets a receiver, tuned to the channel of the transmitter. Make sure someone is operating the mixer and that each camera operator is monitoring the camera audio both visually and with headphones. Your done. I've done this hundreds of times in all kinds of venues from NYC skyscrapers to Central American rain forests. One more caveat, hopefully you'll have enough setup time to be sure there are no competing channels in your immediate operating area. Surprises during the shoot are no fun. Good luck.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

Erica Fellion
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:15:24 pm

Joel, thank you for the tips. They were very helpful.

As for the cameras:
All cameras are on tripods. I might be adding a third camera. All cameras would have two xlr inputs. I would love to record stereo if possible, but I can record mono and double it in post. All mics need to be wireless.

Please forgive my audio ignorance, this is really more of my crash-course into audio mixing, but what do you mean by "frequency agile?"

Also, is there a way I can avoid radio interference with that many wireless mics running at the same time?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Dec 20, 2013 at 12:33:17 am

From the sounds of it you are out of your league to achieve a 100% guaranteed job...... Hire a sound person.

Return to posts index

Erica Fellion
Re: cording with 4 wireless microphones on a two camera shoot
on Dec 20, 2013 at 1:04:01 am

Brian,
I respect your opinion and while I would prefer to hire a sound mixer instead of having to teach myself through trial and error, the company that I work for can only budget for one person to do everything. That person is me. I'm there to help to build the foundations for what will hopefully expand into a much larger department (with an audio crew, I have a lot of respect for you guys.)
I'm on this forum because I'm asking for help and advice from people who know more than I do. I am willing to admit that I am not an expert, but I am willing to learn and I appreciate any help as this was project was just thrown on me yesterday.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:12:25 am

So let me try and understand your situation, ONE person will use 2 (maybe 3) cameras to record an event where each person will be have a radio Lav mic that will need to be mounted on them. Audio levels will need to be set, monitored and adjusted, battery levels on the cameras / radio mics etc will need to be monitored etc. And you will need to operate the camera/s as well.
Then post produced without the assistance of timecode.

I'm sorry but a situation like this a 'Professional' would / should walk away from as they can see a train wreck about to happen.

A product like this will disappoint the client and they will go away with a VERY negative view of video production people.

Audio professionals are often asked to solve problems like yours but by doing so dramatically lowers the standards of what we do for a living, the industry is already on a slide to poor audio standards and the loss of jobs by people doing VERY low budget productions with little or no experience.

Return to posts index

Erica Fellion
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:23:08 am

Brian,

I completely understand where you are coming from, however, I still have a job to do and high expectations to meet.

Back to my original post, I'm looking into the sennheiser mic system previously mentioned.

Thank you all for your help. I really do appreciate and respect you for offering your professional advice.

Happy holidays!

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:57:39 am

Just spotted "high expectations to meet"
Gets more worrying. Be 100% clear with them.
Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:56:06 am

HI
RE
" this was project was just thrown on me yesterday."

Sometimes we have to be BIG enough to "throw" it right back.
You have too much on at your experience level. And someone with a greater experience level would staff up.

The people who threw it at you wont be expecting a train wreck. There is a real possibility of this.

I have been in TV and broadcasting for 27 years, and would really think twice about shooting 3 cameras with 4 channels of radio solo.

If the people youre working with are going to be understanding if it all goes pear shaped, then thats one thing, but make sure they KNOW that this is your position and that it a situation of their making.

Peter

Return to posts index

Erica Fellion
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:04:55 pm

Peter,

I feel the same. I wanted to see if this was even possible to do and if I would be able to keep under the budget they set. I plan to discuss this all with all parties involved as I agree that it is unrealistic to even expect me to operate 3 cameras by myself. The two-person, two camera shoot was even difficult without the crew that it would typically require.

I will ask them for extra assistance and hope for the best. Keeping my fingers crossed here. Thank you all again, you've helped a ton.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]