FORUMS: list search recent posts

Field use headphone choice?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bergstein
Field use headphone choice?
on Dec 16, 2013 at 6:35:41 am
Last Edited By Al Bergstein on Dec 16, 2013 at 7:16:38 am

I've spent the last three years shooting with the Sony MDR-7506 headphones, great sound, but frankly, the build quality really leaves something to be desired. The ear pads almost immediately came off, and I ended up taping them with gaffers tape to the rims, but they still manage to fall off, usually as I'm getting them out of the case during a moment that I don't want to have to mess with them. I see a couple of replacement pads available, do the sheepskin hold up better than the the ones that come with the 7506? Or do the cheaper pads withstand the elements and the typical field punishment better? Is there a better field standard than the 7506 these days? Gotta have full folding ability and long cord.

Al

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Field use headphone choice?
on Dec 16, 2013 at 1:53:58 pm

Hi AL,

I have Garfield Softies on my MDR7506. Had them there for 5-6 years. They are very comfortable, sound good and last well. Give yourself a stocking stuffer.

http://tinyurl.com/lzcgs3z

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Dec 16, 2013 at 2:44:03 pm

I have used several different 3rd party pads for my many MDR 7506 headphones, (Beyer, Pearstone, Auray; all from B&H) and all of them are much sturdier and more comfortable than the original Sony pads. I haven't had to replace any of the 3rd party pads.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Dec 16, 2013 at 4:08:48 pm

Thanks guys, I'll try those first before buying a different set of cans.

Al

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Dec 17, 2013 at 1:46:11 am

I'm beginning to wonder about the long-term performance of the 7506. I have heard reports of loss of low-frequency sensitivity over time and I am beginning to believe that. It would be very interesting to see an analysis of older pairs compared to a factory-fresh pair.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 17, 2013 at 2:35:47 am

Richard,

I have several new pair in the box and think (but do not know) you might be right.

Not a bad thing for MDR7506. They are a bit hyped in the top and bottom.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:07:02 am

Another long time 7506 user here. I put three small dabs of a flexible clear-drying fabric glue around the stock ear pads to prevent them from moving or coming off. I'll pull the rim of the ear piece out of the groove slightly then put a tiny drip in the groove and put the rim back in place. Holds strong and is completely invisible but I could still remove them if needed by breaking the glued bonds.

I bought a pair of those softies earpiece covers, expecting to love them. But the way they fit over the earpiece caused the bottom edge of the headphones to "kick out" slightly so they don't quite cup the bottom half of my ear. Maybe it's just my oddly large head but I just couldn't stand the feel and returned them. I'm eyeballing those beyerdynamic replacement pads.

Haven't the 7506's been discontinued and replaced with a new model? I remember wanting to buy a set, but will have to wear out a couple sets of my 7506's first.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Dec 17, 2013 at 2:10:49 am

Great info! Thanx! The 7506's are still selling new on Bh. I do love their folding ability and fit. I can wear them for long periods. But I have to solve this earpiece issue. Very unprofessional to have your beat up earpiece come off in front of a client at a shoot. I've actually shot with one earpiece off, looking like I was just dug up from a trash bin. Well, that's another story....some would probably say that I didn't need the earpiece off to look like that...

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]