FORUMS: list search recent posts

302 xlr output to sennheiser g2 transmitter levels

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
302 xlr output to sennheiser g2 transmitter levels
on Dec 5, 2013 at 3:28:23 am

Sound devices 302 mixer xlr output>sennheiser g2 transmitter input>sennheiser g2 receiver.

From the factory, the 302 is set for Line Level (0 dB) outputs.

This is too hot for the transmitter to handle even when setting the sensitivity at -30, the lowest setting.

The input jack of the transmitter actually says mic or line but it still does not seem to handle the factory 0db of the 302 mixer.

The 302 manual is clear about how to adjust this but I was wondering what level would be a good choice?

On a similar note, what AF out level would you suggest from the g2 receiver to the camcorder's xlr input (which can be adjusted to line or mike level).

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: 302 xlr output to sennheiser g2 transmitter levels
on Dec 5, 2013 at 3:49:29 am
Last Edited By Brian Reynolds on Dec 5, 2013 at 4:07:15 am

I am assuming you are using a 'LINE level' cable to get 'line' level into the TX unit, as the 'line' input+ is actually the ring of the connector and NOT the tip.

The o/p of the RX will depend on the make, model, and input of the recorder you have selected (with SO MANY variables its hard to give exact instructions)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 5, 2013 at 4:45:06 am

Not sure. It's a two ring mini-plug to xlr cable (not locking/not custom) and it does seem to work except at higher levels, but before the LIM of the mixer, it starts to clip the AF light on the transmitter and you can hear distortion.

To be sure I could use the plug-in transmitter but it's awkward sticking out the side of the mixer. Would rather it was in the pocket of my mixer bag. But I'll try it to see if the proper connection makes ad difference.

Yeah not looking for exact just ballpark. Recording to a 250 P2 camcorder.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Dec 5, 2013 at 4:13:35 am

Easy way to keep things as they are is to get a 40db barrel pad and connect that to the 302 xlr output line level connector. The pad will drop the output from line to mic level.

Set the transmitter to about -20 and the receiver to the same -20 out put level going into the camera's input XLR set at mic level. Send a "0" tone from the 302 and adjust the camera's record level to -20, you might need to turn up the rx output level a bit. Keep in mind that the Sennheiser G series are unbalanced connections in and out so you'll need unbalanced wired cables.

Markertek sells a 3 position(20, 30 & 40db) barrel pad for about $15, part number ATT-448. Get two of them, they are a very handy tool.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:17:16 am

"Set the transmitter to about -20 and the receiver to the same -20 out put level going into the camera's input XLR set at mic level."

Thank you that makes perfect sense since normally I calibrate the camcorder to 0 tone on mixer to -20 on the camcorder.

Actually my receiver is set to -20 after I found line level didn't work and experimented. The results were ok until I went to higher levels on my mixer and noticed the transmitter was clipping and adding distortion.

I have pads that I used with a Shure mixer when I needed a feed from a house board. But this seems simple enough:

302 manual:

The XLR Output Level can be attenuated anywhere from a Line level signal to low Mic level signal.
See Setup Menu for adjustment. Both the Left and Right XLR Outputs are adjusted simultaneously, the
Left and Right Outputs cannot be attenuated independently.

Attenuation is set from 0 to 16 dB in 2 dB increments, and 40 to 56 dB in 2 dB increments. The
common attenuation levels of -10 dB (Aux level), -40 dB (hot Mic-level), and -56 dB (low Mic-level)
are available.

I won't know until I try it out tomorrow, but not sure that -20 is an option.

When attenuating the XLR Output level in the Setup Menu, determine how much attenuation is
applied by adding the values shown by the solidly lit LEDs. For example, to set 40 dB of attenuation
the values of -30 (right meter) and -10 (left meter) should be illuminated.
Output levels should be set according to the input level of the receiving device (camera, recorder,
transmitter, etc.). This unique control is ideal because the gain structure of the 302 can be set
precisely for any given piece of equipment.
To attenuate the XLR Outputs from Line to Mic level:
1. Turn off the mixer, if already on.
2. Press and hold the Peak/VU selection button while switching power on. Continue to hold
down the PK/VU button until the -30 LED on the left meter begins to fl ash.
3. The Setup Menu is now entered. The XLR Output Attenuation is the fi rst Setup Menu option
indicated by the fl ashing -30 LED on the left meter. The solidly lit 0 LEDs indicate that the
mixer is currently set to Line level (0 dB).
4. Use the Brightness (down) button to apply attenuation. Successively press the down button
until the -30 LED on the right meter and the -10 LED on the left meter are illuminated.

5. Step through all Setup Menu options by pressing the PK/VU button until the meters
“dance”.
The setting is now saved and the Output Attenuation LED should now be lit.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 6, 2013 at 6:12:50 am
Last Edited By Craig Alan on May 1, 2014 at 3:27:40 pm

Ok here's what I ended up doing. Using the instructions from the 302 mixer manual, I set the xlr outputs to -40. I then set the sensitivity of the transmitter to -20 and the receiver AF out to -18. Camcorder was set to mic level. And was calibrated to -20 with 0 tone from mixer. It worked beautifully. The sound coming from the AT mike is really very pleasant and now our camera op is untethered.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]