FORUMS: list search recent posts

AT2020 suggestions!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Scaffino
AT2020 suggestions!
on Nov 28, 2013 at 4:05:49 pm

I ve been asking myself how can i connect my at2020 xlr to my pc without spending too much money. Could i buy a phantom power supply, then connect it to the mic, and with a XLR-to-3.5 cable connect it to my pc onboard sound card? Can it be done? Could i experience any sound quality issues? Or should i get an external USB card so i can connect it to the pc through USB? is there a quality difference between USB and 3.5mm connection?

Sorry if im not specifying as i should the thing its because im quite new at these things

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: AT2020 suggestions!
on Dec 1, 2013 at 1:41:25 am
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Dec 1, 2013 at 1:43:12 am

You can get a very nice XLR to USB "adapter" (actually a whole mic preamp, phantom power circuit, plus external "sound card") all in one small piece). (but I don't think this one does phantom power) (it looks like this one doesn't do phantom power, either)

There are probably more brands and models like this available, and from several other vendors besides Markertek.

You will easily spend more on just a phantom power "injector". I have no clue how they can get so much $$$ for such simple things.

There is a VAST difference between an external USB-based audio interface and the one built into your computer. Night and day. The mic preamp built into your computer is good enough for communications (like Skype, voice-mail, etc.) but by no means suitable for serious recording of ANYTHING.

There is also a USB version of the AT2020. The AT2020USB. It has that mic preamp, phantom power circuit, and audio interface all built right into the mic.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved