FORUMS: list search recent posts

I just can't trust my zoom H1's anymore

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Payne
I just can't trust my zoom H1's anymore
on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:20:29 pm

I have used zoom H1's for wedding speeches (one on each speaker plus dotted around the room) for a few years now and about once or twice per year, one of them malfunctions. Usually I pick it up after the speeches and push stop and the spinning wheel that usually spins for a second or so just never stops. I have to pull the battery and find nothing is recording. In most cases this is one of the lav mics of a crucial speaker, this is when my heart usually sinks and I vow never to use them again, but I keep going back.

Recently for the first time I had a different malfunction. I took the recorder from the grooms pocket and found the timer was stuck on 24 mins 13 secs and wasnt going up. No buttons did anything, the h1 just didnt respond so I battery pulled. When I turned it back on I found the 24 min recording was intact and usable (although useless to me on this occasion - it wasnt recording when he spoke).

I use genuine sandisk class 4 8GB micro SD cards and all units have their firmware up to date.

My questions..

1) am I using the right cards? Is there any more expensive (you cant put a price on reliability) cards you guys would recommend?
2) is there anything I can do to prevent such malfunctions?
3) Are there any alternative recorders that are thought to be 100% (or as near to is as you can be with digital) reliable?

Now I know this is a budget set up but I can not afford to take a sound man or have the space/time to use a mixing desk and multiple wireless receivers (although these could then be open to interference) so please go gentle with your thoughts as I'm not an audio professional..

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: I just can't trust my zoom H1's anymore
on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:56:32 pm

Perhaps it's time to get new units or up grade to another brand like Tascam.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 19, 2013 at 7:55:36 pm

Is it possible while in someone's pocket they inadvertently hit a button or two causing the problem. Maybe try putting the Zoom in some type of enclosure that would prevent that from happening. Another thought is static electricity discharge. Less expensive units are often susceptible to that. You should reformat the cards before every gig. Maybe there's a piece of software that can test the cards. AJA and Blackmagic have apps that test the bandwith of hard drives. They may work with SD and CF cards, too. I know the AJA app (AJA System Test) is free. The BM app probably is, too. Just a couple of thoughts.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Nov 19, 2013 at 11:12:02 pm

I have an H1, and recently bought 2 Tascam DR-05's and 3 "microphone madness" lavs (5v phantom powered) by the Tascam recorder. No more lav with a battery module!

Cheers,

Malcolm

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

David Payne
on Nov 20, 2013 at 10:04:37 pm

Malcom what sort of battery life do you get with the tascam and microphone madness lav?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 19, 2013 at 11:14:29 pm

Same thing happened to us. We ended up just getting a Rode smartllav for iPhone and couldn't be happier.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

David Payne
on Nov 20, 2013 at 10:02:33 pm

thanks for all of the replies guys,
Yes I always format before each use, and I use supported cards only.There is no chance of them pushing buttons as there is a hold switch. I have contacted zoom and they have said it may be because I'm using rechargeable batteries. They said normal alkaline will be more reliable. I find that hard to believe but I will give it a go, despite the expense.

the iPhone thing actually sounds quite cool as I'm sure an iphone would be reiable, but not cost effective to buy 5 of these!

The guys that use tascam.. was the switch to tascam for reliability issues? Do you think theyre more reliable? I'm considering getting one to start with and maybe using it on the groom only.

Maybe I'll contact tascam and ask about using rechargeable batteries..

Return to posts index

Vladimir Samurkov
on May 27, 2014 at 9:44:29 am

Hello!

I have e similar problem with my H1 - stuck, hangs up.... Did you found any solution?

Vladimir

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]