FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microphone Advice/Information

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Wishart
Microphone Advice/Information
on Nov 15, 2013 at 7:26:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm not the best when it comes to audio; I only know the basics in regards to types of microphones, functionality of each type, and basics in handling mic levels in post.
My current budget is about $400 and I'm looking for a lav mic. However, I look at various sites and stores, and the ratings seem to drop quite heavily on products under about $500. The internet is full of hateful people so I can't believe that the ratings are as true to what the mics can actually do, so I was wondering what you guys could give me for advice on what to get. I've worked with the Sennheiser G3 and loved it but too much money.
Finally, I was wondering if there are any quality audio tutorials or resources I can use to better understand frequencies and the more intermediate areas of mics and audio?
You guys are so awesome and I can't thank you enough for all of the FREE help and advice you give out each day.

Take Care!
-Alex-

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Microphone Advice/Information
on Nov 15, 2013 at 8:30:54 pm

You have two paths if you want to mic people with a lavillier.

You can buy exactly that, and there are a huge range of them under $400 that are excellent.

OR

You can buy the same lav mic PLUS a radio transmitter - PLUS a radio receiver. and use all that high technology to replace the 50 cents worth of cable that comes with a wired lav.

If you MUST have the radio stations - there's simply no high quality yet inexpensive solution that will come anywhere close to replicating the excellent performance and situational dependability of the wire.

Simple as that.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 16, 2013 at 7:32:25 pm

Hi Bill,

What wired lavs do you recommend? I have some E6s with an xlr connector but they ain't cheap. Wouldn't mind some cheaper wired lavs for loaners or for classwork.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Nov 16, 2013 at 9:26:24 pm

Re: Cheaper lavs: Here are three lower-cost options...

Oscar Sound Tech: http://www.oscarsoundtech.com/index.html
They make several quite good (IMHO) models with a wide variety of connection options and accessories. I have two OST-801 which are nearly identical to the popular Countryman EMW at half the price (~$180 for the XLR version).

MXL Interview Kit http://www.mxlmics.com/microphones/field-recording/FR-355/
A kit of two inexpensive XLR lav mics (~$100), one cardioid and one omni.

Naiant X-X Omnidirectional Lapel Condenser Microphone http://www.naiant.com/naiant/microphones.html
Several options, $50 with XLR termination.

I did sound for a TV series several months ago with three different mics: One Rode Lav ($250 with XLR), two OST-801 mics, and the omni mic from the MXL kit. Check out the first episode and see if you can guess which is the $250 mic and which is the $40 mic.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 16, 2013 at 10:36:27 pm

Thanks Richard.

David $40? picking up clothing noise though it might have nothing to do with mike quality.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Nov 17, 2013 at 3:44:45 am

Ha! :-) David had the $250 Rode Lav. Jeffrey had the $40 MXL, and Ty and James had the $180 OST-801s.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 17, 2013 at 7:11:44 am

cool. i'll take another listen at the $40 one. i'd really like a bunch I wouldn't be all protective about.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 17, 2013 at 11:41:21 am

Richard said, and Ty and James had the $180 OST-801s.

Hey Richard,

You talkin' about me or another Ty?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Alex Wishart
on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:37:42 pm

Ah ok. I'm picking up what you're putting down.
Thank you to everyone who posted. This helped open my eyes and I'll be looking into more options since it seems as though a cheap, regular lav mic would be equally effective compared to the wireless mics on the market. That actually leaves the door open for more gear, too (woo!!). And I'll certainly be checking out Mr. Bartlett's link as I want to know as much as I can about audio for video.
Again, thank you guys all so much for the links and pro advice; such an amazing site and group of professionals.

Take care,
-Alex-

@AlexWishard
or
@AscensionVisual
OR
Ascenvisuals.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 15, 2013 at 11:45:01 pm

Hello Alex,

By "lavs", are you referring to hard-wired lav or are you talking about a wireless mic kit that uses a lav?

If the latter, don't buy below a Sennheiser g3 if you're doing professional work. Period.

You can't afford to cheap out. It's your REPUTATION on the line.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Bruce Bartlett
on Nov 18, 2013 at 3:32:44 pm

Hi Alex,

Here's a link to a microphone tutorial:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/3799/files/mic_specs_explained.pdf?15...

Hope this helps,

Bruce Bartlett
Bartlett Audio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]