FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lapel mic cables

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
Lapel mic cables
on Nov 14, 2013 at 3:05:19 pm

My Sennheiser G3 lapel mic has a small case of wearing near the jack end. I can see the copper cabling. I have used some tape to cover where it is torn but is that going to cause any problems short/long term i.e is it going to affect the mic?

Are there any suitable replacements that you could recommend if I need to replace it?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Lapel mic cables
on Nov 14, 2013 at 3:16:38 pm

It will affect the mic if it wears so much that one or more of the conductors breaks. Putting tape over the bare spot won't affect the performance as long as the braid remains intact, and covering it with tape will be better than nothing. But you could fix it by cutting off the bare part of the cable and re-terminating the connector.

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Nov 14, 2013 at 3:24:40 pm

Thanks John, I might turn myself into a terminator then and give it a go:-)

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 14, 2013 at 4:08:02 pm

If the mic is the one that comes with the wireless then it has a molded on connector. Cut the cable above the wear point, through away the old connector and reterminate with a 3.5mm TRS with a locking collar.

The positive wire gets connected to the shorter (tip) of the two solder tabs and the shield/ground gets connected to the sleeve arm with the bendable clamp fingers. No connection to the ring tab is required.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 15, 2013 at 5:07:11 am

How hard is this to do? We have 4 countryman E6 headsets with interconnects that need to be changed to .5mm TRS with a locking collar to plug into a G2 or G3 transmitter. New interconnects are about $60.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Nov 15, 2013 at 7:29:57 am

It's not rocket surgery, but it's not trivial either. The challenges are: 1) getting definitive and authoritative information on exactly how to connect the mic cable to a new type of connector/gear. And 2) dealing with the very tiny wires and connector.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 15, 2013 at 8:39:37 am

I can do the connector change for you for $35 each including the 3.5mm locking TRS. Contact me at: audioetc@bellsouth.net or call: 954-255-7628.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]