FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser MKH415 or MKE600?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Burt
Sennheiser MKH415 or MKE600?
on Nov 3, 2013 at 8:22:54 pm

Hey guys,

So I would call myself an intermediate-level videographer and filmmaker who does most work with a DSLR. I'm looking to finally upgrade my shotgun mic from a crappy Audio Technica ATR6550 to something a bit more expensive and higher quality. I understand that the industry standard these days is either an MKH416 or anything by Schoeps, but those are a bit out of my price range at the moment.

I was originally dead-set on buying the Sennheiser MKE600, but then I stumbled upon this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SENNHEISER-MKH415-same-specs-as-MKH416-SHOTGUN-COND...

It's advertised as having the same specs as the MKH416, but it's less than half the price - the same price as a MKE600. I've watched videos that use an MKE600 and I love the quality, but I haven't been able to find any videos online that specifically state that they use the MKH416. So my question is, for filmmaking purposes which of the two will sound better overall, or rather which is the better mic in general?

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Sennheiser MKH415 or MKE600?
on Nov 3, 2013 at 10:30:11 pm

Hello Justin,

The 415 is very old school. I'd opt for a Rode NTG3. It has a slightly wider pattern than a 416, though, if that's a concern.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 3, 2013 at 11:04:54 pm

Keep in mind that the MKE 600 can run on it's internal batteries while any of the MKH series require 48v phantom power which is not available from DSLRs. You would need an external unit to supply the 48v phantom to power an MKH series mic or any other mic that does not have internal batteries.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Nov 4, 2013 at 4:31:15 pm

That's an MKH415-T, so it will require 12V T-Power, not 48V Phantom. You will need either a 12-T power supply or a 48V Phantom to 12V-T converter for it to work.

Michael Paul
Location Sound Corp

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]