FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good Audio Quality for Narrated Video + Office Interviews

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Søren Sørensen
Good Audio Quality for Narrated Video + Office Interviews
on Nov 2, 2013 at 9:25:35 am

Dear CC-forum,

A question on obtaining good audio for narrated-videos w interviews.
Science-journalist thingy.

I was hoping that perhaps on this forum I could obtain an expert piece of advice/discuss a choice of a good microphone system. It is a jungle for the non-enlightened!
Perhaps also, audio program (at the moment I have Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, which I guess is pretty ok. I just need to start using it).

(i) Microphone.
(ii) Audio program
a) How much more is Sound Forge Pro when it comes to HQual
optimizing interviews/narrated text. Again, the raw footage
is probably the most important part?? hence the need for
upgrading on the hardware side -> microphone.

(iii) Addon question: Do services exist where you send a short text for someone with a 'good narrative voice', and pay a small amount. Then you receive a sound-file back in HQual, which you can use in your video?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Good Audio Quality for Narrated Video + Office Interviews
on Nov 2, 2013 at 3:28:29 pm

Perhaps you are putting too much expectations on "cleaning up" mediocre performance and recording in post-production after the fact. A good "performance" in a good environment (quiet, not too live or too dead) should need minimal post-produciton processing.

Return to posts index

Søren Sørensen
on Nov 2, 2013 at 4:52:26 pm

Cheers, that would close Q(ii).
And I fully agree, hence, the two questions concerning the:
Choice of microphone & addon question

I have been looking into 2 types of microphones:
a: The condenser type of mic, which should have the best reproduction quality all-over.'
I am thinking the USB-version is fantastic for ease-of-use, but I am unsure how good quality it can offer compared to higher qual. with phantom power.

b: theBOOM headset, which claims excellent noise red. But will it ever match a condenser mic in a calm room?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 2, 2013 at 6:33:52 pm

What's the budget for the mic? Have you asked your video producer about local talent/studios? It will be easier for you to receive a finished audio track.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Søren Sørensen
on Nov 2, 2013 at 9:35:59 pm

I should be more precise.

Well the budget on the mic is my personal one. So say 200$.

The video is for dissemination of a large EU-project, and we are doing it within the consortium.
Our/my "problem" is that we are researchers, not film-makers or audio-experts. The audio-quality should be sufficient that it can be streamed for a Horizon2020 presentation without bad audio taking away focus from the message.

I currently consider the RØDE Podcast Mic for the narrated part (i like the easy USB connection), but cannot convince myself that it is good enough - as compared to fx the new RØDE NT1 (XLR connection, hence an expensive preamp + adapter).

As for the interview part. I consider a wireless thingy like you use for presentations (clipped transmitter microphone on shirt and receiver). But my knowledge on these systems is very limited.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 3, 2013 at 12:48:08 am

Hello Søren and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Yes, you are quite correct. There's a lot to achieving good audio just as there is with good research.

You need awareness, tools and technique. Plug and play research really doesn't work as well as research that takes more time and is done with more exacting standards.

So, USB mics sort of work, but they usually aren't as good as a real mic with a good preamp and A/D converter. By limiting your expense to $200, you are limiting the quality of your results. OTOH, you may not need great results. :)

Not everyone is a skilled and gifted narrator as well as a good recordist. You can find people who will work for free. You will usually get what you pay for. You can find professional narrators with studios who can do a good job and save you the trouble.

So, sure, buy a mic and begin to learn what proper audio recording is about. Just don't put your job on the line....yet.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Søren Sørensen
on Nov 3, 2013 at 8:05:14 pm

Thanks for good answers.

The video for which I'll need the microphone is quite similar to this one. And the audio-quality should be around this level, give and take.

Anyone have a feeling if this can be done with either of the 2 systems I've narrowed it down to.
1: RØDE's USB Podcast Microphone?

or will it require something more expensive like:
2: RØDE's NT1 (along with XLR->USB converter + preamp)

Very good point Ty. I 100% agree. Getting some professional to record the audio instead is an excellent idea.
Anyone has any links for companies offering narrating/audiobooks?

I found this: http://www.imedge.biz/
Around 0.03$ per word seems fair enough?

Regards,
Søren

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 3, 2013 at 10:27:07 pm

Søren

Was that recorded with a Rode Podcaster? If so, you're fine.

.03 per word is cheap. I don't charge by the word. I charge by time in the studio, starting at around $399 for a half hour.

Here are my demos: http://www.tyford.com/Ty_Ford_Talent_Demos.html

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Søren Sørensen
on Nov 5, 2013 at 4:35:35 pm

Thanks for rly nice answers.

I now have a RØDE Podcast Mic that I'll give a go.

I am sure if this video project turns out well - we will have a lot more work to do. I will keep you in mind for future challenging work!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]