FORUMS: list search recent posts

two wired lavs into 1/4" input at back of H4n

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
two wired lavs into 1/4" input at back of H4n
on Oct 21, 2013 at 12:39:29 am

I'd like to connect 2 wired powered lavaliers (http://www.amazon.com/Boya-BY-M1-Microphone-Smartphone-Camcorders/dp/B00EPZZS4O) into the 1/4" jack at the back to the H4n. I turned-off the H4n's "Plug-in" power and turned on the mics' power. As long as they send same amount of signal to the H4n, I don't mind if I can't individually mix them.

My questions are:
1. Will the power on the two microphones short circuit the H4n, or the mics?
2. What type of y connector should I use? I found a mono and a stereo in the electronics store.

Thank you very much and God bless!

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: two wired lavs into 1/4" input at back of H4n
on Oct 21, 2013 at 4:50:54 am

"I turned-off the H4n's "Plug-in" power and turned on the mics' power."

Does this mean that you have already tested the configuration with the 1/4 inch adapter and the 1/4 inch input on the H4n?

I would not bet that the combination would work. The 1/4 inch input on the H4n is not claimed to be a mic-level input. The 1/4 inch input does not provide phantom power, even when it is turned on for the XLR input. It is not at all clear how that microphone is wired. It is a self-powered mono microphone, yet it uses a TRS output connector which begs the question, what is connected to the ring terminal?

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
Re: two wired lavs into 1/4
on Oct 21, 2013 at 8:51:59 am

Yes, i already connfected he mic to the back. When i turn on the switch in the mic (with the Zoom's plug-in power off), the mic works perfectly. I can see both levels moving so this is definitely a stereo mic. Now, i plan to use two of this mic so i'm thinking of using a y-connector but i don't know which type to buy. Im also not sure if this is safe.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: two wired lavs into 1/4
on Oct 21, 2013 at 9:06:31 am

Stereo mic? mmmmmm with one capsule. (I think not)

I think you have a MONO mic going to both channels.
What you need is an adaptor that feeds one mic to the Left channel and the other mic feed that goes to the Right channel.

I doubt if you will find on 'off the shelf' it may be a custom made one.

The mic input on the back of the H4n is on a 1/8" socket, the 1/4" socket on the base of the recorder is for high level musical instruments (not line level) a mic plugged into these sockets won't work.

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
Re: two wired lavs into 1/4 (sorry, it's 1/8")
on Oct 21, 2013 at 9:46:44 pm

Sorry, it's a 1/8", not 1/4" plug I'm referring to.

The lav I'm referring to is this:

http://www.boya-mic.com/products/show-386.html

It's very similar to the Audio Technica AT3350, at least in form:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/9c6eca17168eef6f/

I was at the electonics store yesterday, I haven't bought another lavalier so I only had one to test. I was handed two 1/8" y-connectors, both with two black bands (I don't know what it's called) around the plug. The plug on my lav has three black bands.

I tried the first connector and both levels were hitting about -12. This means that my lav is sending signals to both channels of the H4n. Is it safe to put another powered lav in the y-connector so that both lavs are sending power to one 1/8" jack?

I tried the second y-connector and it's sending signal to the left channel only. It was weird weird that when I pulled the lav and transferred it to the other socket of the y-connector, the left channel is still the one working; no signal on the right channel.

Which connector do you think should I buy? Is this setup safe for both the lavs and the H4n?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 22, 2013 at 2:09:15 am

What you need is a passive summing mixer. It's something you can build if you can wrangle a soldering iron. Here's a link to an example. You'd only need two build 2 channels. If you Google "simple mono summing mic mixer" you'll find other examples.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Oct 22, 2013 at 2:33:18 pm

It is still not clear what you are trying to do here (and why). You have two channels of recording, and two microphones. But why are you trying to shove both microphones into one channel? You can get a "Y" cable that will allow you to connect both microphones to the single 3.5mm jack and put one on each channel. For example...

http://www.hosatech.com/product/0/YMM-261/_/Stereo_Breakout%2C_3.5_mm_TRS_t...

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Oct 22, 2013 at 2:54:45 pm

Thank you very much, Richard! This is what I was actually looking for. Two lavs going into one channel is fine but if I can get each of the lavs to go into separate channels, that would be better for me. Now my only concern is if this combination is safe: the H4n, the y-cable, and the two powered lavs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]