FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Feedback caused from Video Camera LAVS?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Siebert
Audio Feedback caused from Video Camera LAVS?
on Oct 19, 2013 at 4:39:39 pm

I've been doing wedding videography for 5 years now. Recently, I was working at a venue that put their own wireless LAV on the officiant in addition to one of my own wireless LAVs that was transmitting to the receiver on my video camera (this is a very common thing). When the ceremony started, there was feedback coming through the PA. The venue said it was my problem and that my mics were surely causing the feedback. I said no way. I even compared our receivers and we were not stepping on each other's frequencies. I've definitely had issues with other venues when we are on or close to the same frequency and that is a different issue (mics pop, cut in/cut out, lots of static etc.) but it's never caused feedback in the PA. My question is... is there any way for my wireless LAV (that is ONLY going to my camera) to cause feedback through the house PA?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: Audio Feedback caused from Video Camera LAVS?
on Oct 19, 2013 at 5:27:09 pm

Did you turn your transmitter AND receiver off and the feedback stopped? Confirming your unit is the culprit. And you are talking about feedback, squealing in the speakers, and not buzzing, dropped audio, etc.

It sounds like you know what you are doing; did you change freqs on your gear? Is it possible they had a 2nd wireless receiver that was on your freq?

Steve

Return to posts index

Jeff Siebert
on Oct 20, 2013 at 3:49:55 pm

Hi Steve,

Yes, it was squealing speaker feedback and not buzzing, dropped audio, etc. Unfortunately, the feedback started just after the ceremony was underway so I couldn't change frequencies or turn my transmitters/ receivers off.

I work with audio a lot but I'm not an audio expert. Based on my knowledge of audio and PA systems, I feel it is impossible for me to cause traditional squealing feedback because my mics are not going to the PA therefore they can't complete the feedback loop. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Oct 21, 2013 at 5:10:02 am

"I feel it is impossible for me to cause traditional squealing feedback because my mics are not going to the PA therefore they can't complete the feedback loop. Am I wrong about that?"

If your microphone (whether wired or wireless) is not feeding the PA system, then it is impossible for them to be causing any acoustic feedback. Alas it is rather common to encounter people running venue systems who are experts at misinformation.

Return to posts index

Jeff Siebert
on Oct 21, 2013 at 5:19:56 am

Well said Richard! Thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 21, 2013 at 8:25:18 am

I agree.
If youre on a different frequency then you couldnt be the culprit. Could you hear anything from the house lav on your recieber at all???

Id add that a lav going through a PA is its self a seriously BAD idea unless you have someone
1) who knows what theyre doing
2) and in constant attend on the fader to deal with it pretty quick.

I dont think theyre that suitable for PA use.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:21:19 am

I've run a cordless kit into a powered speaker without a problem. But always a handheld not a lav. Is it because most lavs are omnis and therefore more likely to pick up the waves from the speaker?

I've been in plenty of auditoriums where the speakers are facing the audience on either side of the stage and a presenter is on the house floor holding a wireless hand held and all sorts of hellish sounds are produced.

By contrast, I've miked performers on stage with wireless lavs which feeds a mixer and in turn feeds the speakers and all goes well. Isn't it more or less line of sight if the sound waves from the speakers reach the mike? And yes the sensitivity level of the mike and the levels being used can increase or decrease just how ear shattering the feedback can be? Is there more to it? Reflections maybe?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]