FORUMS: list search recent posts

For THE cleanest outdoor dialogue (narrative film) -- which mic(s) do I buy?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Kronfeld
For THE cleanest outdoor dialogue (narrative film) -- which mic(s) do I buy?
on Oct 19, 2013 at 5:21:57 am

Hello Friends,

I want the mic that will reject all the outdoor noises we don't want in film production, even on streets with cars or trucks going by; to most cleanly capture multiple actors' dialogue, and create the simplest sound editing situation in post.

Assuming a single mic setup, I understand that it must ideally be actively boomed from above the actors, as close to the actors as camera framing allows, and face the microphone down.

However, it is unclear -- Do I want a super-cardioid, hyper-cardioid, or shotgun?

I understand that a shotgun has a tighter forward facing pickup pattern, but that is has less off-axis rejection capability than the other types of mics when it comes to lower sound frequencies. Also, it seems the most high end mics are super-cardioids. Why are they not shotguns if the patterns is tighter? Assuming the mic is being boomed properly, would the tighter pattern not result in the cleanest sound with the highest ratio of level of dialogue to level of noise?

Microphone model names would be great. I would absolutely be willing to spend $2,000 on a microphone if it will isolate the actors' voices in a public, run 'n gun situation that much better than a cheaper mic.

A million thanks to whomever should like to answer this highly specific question!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: For THE cleanest outdoor dialogue (narrative film) -- which mic(s) do I buy?
on Oct 19, 2013 at 3:54:46 pm

Get the Sanken CS3e and stop worrying.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Marcus Kronfeld
Re: For THE cleanest outdoor dialogue (narrative film) -- which mic(s) do I buy?
on Oct 20, 2013 at 7:27:22 pm

Having read up on it, it sounds like it would serve the purpose.

However, will it be extraordinarily difficult to boom and capture sound properly with multiple actors? If I should like to learn how to do it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]