FORUMS: list search recent posts

Enloop Batteries - Question

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bergstein
Enloop Batteries - Question
on Sep 26, 2013 at 9:00:06 pm

Has anyone been using these batteries a while? My question is whether I should leave them in the battery charger plugged in, which could be a week or more between uses, rather than charge them overnight before putting them in the sound gear. It seems that they are at 1.25 amps after a week or two out of the equipment and not being charged. Thoughts?

Al

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Enloop Batteries - Question
on Sep 26, 2013 at 11:11:53 pm

For a more hands on reply go to: http://www.jwsoundgroup.net and look through the equipment section for battery discussions.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 27, 2013 at 3:45:00 am

Al,

I use them for my three DSLR speed lights. A very taxing and high discharge world when I shoot hundreds and hundreds of exposures. I bought 24 batteries and 3 of the four position chargers.

Since each flash takes 4 AA cells, that's a full set plus a spare set for each flash.

They are amazing. Much better than fresh disposable batteries. The flashes recycle much faster too.

When I was researching them, the advice was to charge them immediately after use and store them fully charged. I'm over a year of use and they are still going strong.

I highly recommend them.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Sep 27, 2013 at 1:41:54 pm

Sounds like I should just make sure to charge them the night before and not leave them charging when not in use. Seems like it won't buy me much and use electricity as well.

Al

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 28, 2013 at 4:53:20 pm

Well, about the "night before" strategy - i'd disagree. If you don't use them for a while, I learned its much better to store them fully charged. Eneloops lose very little charge over resting time. So I believe the right way to treet them is to fully re-charge immediately after use -not before use.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 30, 2013 at 1:56:59 am

If stored with charge, it is possible that when you return to use the battery there may still be some charge left in the battery, therefore it will enable you to use it right then and there. Also, by keeping some charge in the battery, it will require you to "cycle" the battery fewer times until it reaches its peak charge. If you store them with no charge, you will have to "cycle" the battery multiple times until it reaches its peak charge.
An eneloop battery may remain up to 75% charged if not used for up to 3 years.

That's from
http://us.sanyo.com/eneloop/FAQs

I use them for cordless mikes and SD mixers. I just charge them after they run out of gas and use with two sets for each device and a bunch of chargers. If they've been plugged in overnight I unplug them the next day. I'm not overly careful about all the rules (the above suggests that letting them run to empty may not be good idea -though it does say store that way) but my audio gear stays running and I have less complaints about performance than with regular batteries. And previous gen re-chargables. I used to run out of batteries which was a pain. We are using 4-6 mixers 5 days a week for about 5-6 hours a day. For the cordless mikes I just charge them when they show 1/2 full. For critical shoots I start with all devices at full.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]