FORUMS: list search recent posts

Correctly connecting wireless to Sound Devices 302

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marx Ways
Correctly connecting wireless to Sound Devices 302
on Sep 24, 2013 at 8:58:59 pm

I recently bought a Sound Devices 302 and I am trying to figure out how to connect everyting correctly.

Should I choose line or mic input on the 302 when connecting my wireless Sennheiser ew100 g3 receiver? What difference would it make? I would think line is correct because the Sennheiser system preamp is already being used.. Confusing me is reading Dean Miles book "Location Audio: Simplified" where he tells you to set your input on mixers for wireless receivers to mic.

thanks

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Correctly connecting wireless to Sound Devices 302
on Sep 24, 2013 at 9:28:12 pm

While you can go either mic or line level from the G3 rx into the 302 you'll find you have more latitude in adjustments by going mic level @ about -18 on the rx into a mic level input on the 302. Try both mic & line output levels into your 302, remembering to set the 302 input to the line setting for rx output levels at "0" or above.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Sep 24, 2013 at 10:43:38 pm

I have a SD442 and use Senni G2's + G3's and feed them into the mixer at mic level.

Note; make sure that the phantom power is 'turned OFF' as damage can result on some radio mic RX units.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 25, 2013 at 6:15:30 am

And if you're relatively new at all of this, you might Dwant to d a web search on the term " gain structure" and read in general on how to balance input and output levels properly. It's something everyone doing audio should study up on at some point.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]