FORUMS: list search recent posts

Undercovers Problem

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Kuenneke
Undercovers Problem
on Sep 23, 2013 at 12:17:53 pm

I've been using Rycote's Undercovers with very mixed results and was hoping someone had some insight as to what I'm doing wrong. I apply the adhesive teardrop to the inside of the shirt, then press the mic head into it. I then apply the soft, felt over - trying to ensure it is pressed down along the edges.

Yesterday I could not eliminate rustling noise. I even tried installing it a second time with no luck. I finally gave up and attached the mic with the tie clip to the outside of the shirt and out of camera frame.

I'm using Sony ECM 77s.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Undercovers Problem
on Sep 23, 2013 at 12:25:41 pm

The undercovers are just ok but for best results use the overcovers. The longer hairs on the overs works wonders in reducing rubbing noises.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:03:34 pm

Hi
I too use the overcovers, even when under the covers.
Are you sure that the rustling was friction ON your mic, rather than friction of the fabric generally, that is being recorded by your mic.

I always use a fluffy overcover on both sides of the mic, and ensure that the top of the mic is also covered by a undercover.
I also tape a generous loop of the cable so theres def no pulling on the mic cable causing problems too.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:53:19 pm

Peter - great to hear from you!

So you sandwich (best term I could come up with) the microphone between two overcovers and then put an undercover over that? I just can't see it.

Yes - it was a rustling noise. I think the problem will be resolved with overcovers...or the fluffy cover.

Rich

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:44:55 pm

Thank you - I knew there was an alternative cover. I will get them!

Rich

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]