FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feedback for new Ambisonics microphone and recording system

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nakul Sood
Feedback for new Ambisonics microphone and recording system
on Sep 21, 2013 at 7:01:28 am

Dear All,

I am reaching out to professionals in the field of sound recording. We are launching a campaign for a new microphone on Kickstarter in mid-October and wanted to share this with our core audience.

In a nutshell, the Microphone Features are -
-One Single Microphone that Creates Multiple Microphone Patterns
-3 Dimensional Directional Audio Control with Height without moving the microphone
-Genuine Surround Sound from Stereo to 5.1 Dolby to 32 Channel Surround

Our newest product is called the Brahma which is a calibrated ambisonic or sound field microphone. We are making 3 versions that include a 4 channel recorder in the package. In case you haven't already heard about ambisonics, I'll list the basic advantages. It is a single point recording device, which lets you generate virtually any microphone pattern in the world. It allows you to turn your audio in any direction on any axis, without touching the microphone, as well as create multiple forms of audio images from mono, stereo, to genuine surround with height. Our version is simple to use, easy to set up, and the least expensive solution for ambisonics ever made. It’s kind of been the Holy Grail of Microphones for us and we've tried to make it affordable and easy to use for everyone.

We've priced the mic at - $600 for a calibrated stand alone Brahma (can be used with any 4 channel recorder), $900 for a calibrated Brahma built into a 4 channel Zoom recorder (for portability and speed of use), and $1400 for a stand alone Brahma with a separate modified Zoom 4 Channel recorder and accessories.

We'd like your thoughts on a few points -
1. What is your immediate response to the idea?
2. Is the price point at levels you are comfortable with as a professional in the audio recording industry?
3. Considering the quality of the microphone is top-notch, would this be a microphone you would buy or endorse to audio recording professionals and recording enthusiasts?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through this! Your feedback would be gratefully appreciated! The Kickstarter campaign, to be launched mid-October aims to generate funds to calibrate this microphone and generate scale for bulk production.

Our company is Embrace Cinema Gear http://www.embracecinemagear.com, and we create and manufacture film equipment.

Nakul Sood

Image Craft Without Compromise - Devices for Filmmaking
http://www.embracecinemagear.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Feedback for new Ambisonics microphone and recording system
on Sep 25, 2013 at 8:56:34 am

Hi

OK, I'll start.

My initial response is: Oh, interesting. I'll have a look at that when it comes out.

TBH, it really appeals to the enthusiast side of my interest in sound, I have, for example, a Zoom H2n which I've been playing with for a variety of things (the appeal being the variety of microphone settings), not to mention a whole bunch of different mics.

But to be brutally honest, it doesn't really fix a problem that I have in my professional life, i.e., the work that earns me a living (mainly docs and factual telly).

I wish you success (sorry if this doesn't sound too encouraging).

Return to posts index

Nakul Sood
on Sep 25, 2013 at 6:55:03 pm

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for replying, we've got a bunch or really positive feedback from some of the guys we've contacted directly.

Its kind of been our dream to make this microphone. We had intended to make this affordable for everyone so we're making this.

I'd have thought a mic that you can turn the audio to point in any direction in post after you have made the recording, as well as the ability to change your mic pattern, would be of great use for both Docus as well as Reality TV. I think perhaps the implication of that is being lost, we'll try putting a video of the exact usage and implication for different types of recordists soon. I'm a fan of buying what you need and can use, too much gear is bought out of passion,

Thanks a ton for your wishes,

All the best,
Nakul

Image Craft Without Compromise - Devices for Filmmaking
http://www.embracecinemagear.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Sep 25, 2013 at 7:16:21 pm

Aaah, you can't buy too much gear out of passion (as long as you can make the payments). I've wasted money on cars and motorbikes but I've never regretted buying a guitar or a microphone ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]