FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Very Low..

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bernard Ageeb
Audio Very Low..
on Sep 20, 2013 at 9:35:08 pm

Hi was recording a speaker with the wireless going into my Zoom H4n then out to my Canon 7d. The card filled up and i didn't know but i could still hear audio with the headphone. The 7d audio is very very low. How can i increase the audio so i can finish my project? Thanks for your help in advance.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Audio Very Low..
on Sep 21, 2013 at 11:23:07 am

why cant you just sync up the audio from your zoom in your edit system.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Bernard Ageeb
on Sep 21, 2013 at 12:25:27 pm

Hi Peter,
the audio on the 7d is very very low and it will need havy boosting or something to get the audio level up.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 21, 2013 at 1:38:44 pm

Peter, I think he meant the Zoom's SD card filled up. To boost your levels you need to do that in an audio app or your nle. Depending on how low the levels are you may have to do a couple of passes by raising the level, exporting the audio file, reimporting and then raising levels again until you have enough level. Understand that all the noise in the signal will also be increased. You can remove some of that noise with an app like Izotope RX. You could also try playing the Zoom and taking its output into a preamp which you use to raise the levels. You'd record that raised signal with your nle or an audio app or second Zoom.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Bernard Ageeb
on Sep 21, 2013 at 2:26:01 pm

Hi John,
Yes, the SD card stop recording and the line out from the zoom into the Canon 7d .The audio on the Canon SD card is what I need fixed. I try raising the audio and each time the noise is getting louder.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Sep 21, 2013 at 3:24:18 pm

HI
yes, sorry Id not grasped that.

Boosting a poor signal to noise recording will inevitably increase the bg noise as your recording is too near the noise floor.
why dont you post a short sample so we can hera the problem and seeif we can help with a fix.
Peter

Return to posts index

Bernard Ageeb
on Sep 21, 2013 at 9:05:28 pm

Here is a small click for you to see

6545_62.mp3.zip

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 22, 2013 at 3:59:19 am

I heard 9 minutes and 19 seconds of moderate level hiss and NO signal at all. It is not at all clear what you want to do with this? There is no detectable signal here that I could detect.

Return to posts index

Bernard Ageeb
on Sep 22, 2013 at 10:43:00 am

Hi Richard,
Thanks for checking it out. I believe the cable which camee out of the zoom h4n into my canon 7d is bad or was not not in all the way. That is why i have no signal.

Bernard

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Sep 22, 2013 at 6:39:56 pm

Thats not low level audio.
its no level audio.
Nothing to salvage here.
Peter

Return to posts index

Bernard Ageeb
on Sep 22, 2013 at 7:03:49 pm

Thanks all for your help

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 30, 2013 at 2:13:38 am

Hi Bernard, No question audio problems ruin more shoots than the visual elements and less can be done to fix them in post. Always do a sound check with your gear before each production session. Not just monitoring but playback too.

I've sometimes played stuff back that sounded awful or silent but found that playing back through just one of the channels saved the day. Check your camera to see if there are different play out options. Do the cam's audio meters indicate a stronger voice type meter reading than you are seeing with the nothing but noise track?

PS these guys know way more than me but I've had this happen before on a canon cam.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bernard Ageeb
on Oct 8, 2013 at 1:47:10 am

Hi Craig, and everyone for your help. I messed up on that job. It will not happen again and i will have a separate backup sound.

Bernard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]