FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding timecode on an audio track in a 5D mark iii

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Mack
Adding timecode on an audio track in a 5D mark iii
on Sep 17, 2013 at 11:50:58 pm

I cant seem to find info on the workflow for sending timecode from my field mixer to aan audio track on the 5D iii and then how you bring that clip into say FCP and utilize the timecode. It's probably 100 places here but I can't seem to locate

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Adding timecode on an audio track in a 5D mark iii
on Sep 18, 2013 at 1:14:55 am

While it's possible, it's a pretty uncommon workflow these days to use LTC on an audio track.

If you must, you can look at Markertek or some other catalog vendor for a LTC generator and just feed it to the camera audio input via the camera external mic input.

But I have to tell you, when you're creating a digital file, the timekeeping is done via digital sample rate - so it's MUCH more common to let your NLE assign timecode values to the frames at the point you import footage into your edit system.

So nobody I know expects externally generated TC on field cards. It's kinda unnecessary.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Sep 18, 2013 at 9:39:05 am

I agree with Bill.

Can you tell us why exactly you feel this is necessary?
peter

I think an editor would have to go to a LOT of trouble sourcing added kit in the edit suite just to read the tc youve stamped across a audio track. The how does he intend using it?
Add to that (and my opinions on the shortcomings of DSLR audio capabilities are quite well documented on this forum) Id expect that youd get so much bleed of tc to adjacent audio track that you probably render the actual audio track useless as well.

Id save yourseelf the bother unless youve a specific tried and tested workflow that really needs that were not aware of.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Oct 9, 2013 at 3:18:59 pm

FYI - FCP has no way of using audio LTC in your clips without some third party tool. However, this functionality is built in to Avid Media Composer, in the form of the Read Audio Timecode command. Extremely simple to use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]