FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound Devices 744t Recorder

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cody troyer
Sound Devices 744t Recorder
on Sep 16, 2013 at 11:18:05 pm

Hi,

I recently purchased a Sound Devices 552 and 744t to use in conjunction, but I cannot seem to figure out how to use all four channels of the 744t to record 4 separate tracks. I believed this should be possible but now I am thinking it might be that it just records in a four track format (like a middle ground between Stereo and 5.1).

Is there a way to record four channels of separate audio using TA3's in conjunction with the XLR inputs? And if so, how can I do so running through my mixer?

Thanks!

Cody

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
Re: Sound Devices 744t Recorder
on Sep 17, 2013 at 4:37:51 pm

Cody,

Since nobody else has responded yet, I'll try to at least point you in the right direction. I've used the Sound Devices 442 a lot, but I don't own a 552 or 744t. But a quick look at their manuals tells me that the 552 has "Direct Outputs" (552 manual page 22) for each channel. You would use these to go to the inputs on your 744t. It appears you would need 2 TA3-XLR cables and 2 TA3-TA3 cables to do this, as the 744t looks like it uses XLRs on Channels 1 and 2 and TA3s for channel 3 and 4 (744t manual page 15). You can then route each input to whatever track in the 744t you want, though the default looks like it's set so that 1 goes to 1, 2 to 2, as you would expect (744t manual page 22).

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Sound Devices 744t Recorder
on Sep 19, 2013 at 3:33:46 pm

To Cody,

If you need the cables as Rob described (and he was exactly right)I can make them for you. Contact me by phone: 954-255-7628 or email audioetc@bellsouth.net.

Eric

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]