FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mic cable as antenna

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Jones
Mic cable as antenna
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:16:58 pm

I'm thinking about buying a used Lectrosonics m187 transmitter and cr187 receiver. The transmitter uses the mic cable as an antenna (dipole?) and I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on this type of antenna configuration. Is it better/worse than the type of antenna I'm used to using where you attach a threaded antenna on the transmitter bottom?

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: Mic cable as antenna
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:43:55 pm

I personally am not a fan mostly because I've experienced interference with a perspiring body and the mic cable. That was a Shure system from long ago.

Also be sure if using in the US it is not on 700Mhz band

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/700-mhz-wireless-microphones-distribution-sale-an...

Steve

Return to posts index

Michael Jones
on Sep 3, 2013 at 8:00:49 pm

Thanks, Steve. I think I should be OK. Only using for corporate video headshots and light interviews, so hopefully sweating won't be an issue, so sounds like this should be suitable. Can't beat it for the price.

One other question, I'll need to get an antenna for the receiver (it doesn't come with one). I have a couple foot long rubber duckies and a couple foot long wire antenna (they're rigid wires with a small circular loop at the end). Are antennae universal, in other words, can I use the antenna I have from my other Lectro unit on this one?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 4, 2013 at 11:03:47 pm

Antennas are typically cut to a length proportional to their frequency (actually wavelength). 1/4 wavelength is a typical length for a whip antenna like that. Suggest researching the documentation and/or contacting the manufacturer. If you use an antenna that is very much different than the optimal length, it will significantly reduce the reliable operating range. I wouldn't recommend just connecting any old random antenna.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 3, 2013 at 9:05:01 pm

Hello Michael and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

That wireless runs on the VHF band; somewhere between 150MHz and 216MHz. USA TV channels 7-13.

All receivers and transmitters use antennae cut to specific lengths (wavelengths) to propagate properly.

The farther you are away from the right lengths, the lower your range. Check with Lectro to see if they offer replacements.

Using the mic cable as part of an antenna system is a fairly common thing.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]