FORUMS: list search recent posts

Studio monitors

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joanna jomi
Studio monitors
on Sep 2, 2013 at 8:53:46 am

It's a jungle... which studio monitors should I buy is it possible to get any quality for 300$ in total 600$? I use FCP working right now on a piece shot with Sony pdh-150.

Jomi

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Studio monitors
on Sep 2, 2013 at 8:18:12 pm

Hello Joanna and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You need monitors as good or better than the best playback system you expect your video to be heard on.

What would that be?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Joanna jomi
on Sep 2, 2013 at 9:01:30 pm

Hello Ty Ford,

Thank for your welcome and assistance. And good answer :) Well festivals, broadcasting distribution in Asia, World Wide hopefully. The rough cut will be handed over to the sound engineer when its ready. I do the pre-editing working with 5 languages I want my cuts to be accurate well sort of. Someone also recommended Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Monitors I need anyhow but recon that it wont make much difference when talking 600 dollar pair... :)

Regards,
Joanna

Jomi

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 3, 2013 at 2:01:02 am

Hi Joanna,

I have six pair of ATH-M50.

Good headphones are important, but you also need good monitors and the proper acoustical environment for them.

$600/pr is not a lot to pay for the kind of fidelity you may come to need to prevent mixing and EQ errors. Good monitors also increase mixing efficiency, allowing you do work more quickly and with less listener fatigue. I don't know of any good monitors at your price point that deliver that.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Joanna jomi
on Sep 3, 2013 at 8:38:06 am

Hi Ty Ford,

Thanks, I know I wont get much for that amount ... what standard are we talking about anyhow, what should I be saving for - still talking lowest prize as there's so much equipment and software I also need to get my hands on... though audio is kind of underestimated people forget audio makes up for half the experience ...

Six pairs, ok, I'm convinced - are you selling out?

Somewhere one Hi Fi nerd wrote that sound is like wine so many grapes, so many tastes...

Regards,
Joanna

Jomi

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 3, 2013 at 11:51:01 am

U said: "Thanks, I know I wont get much for that amount ... what standard are we talking about anyhow, what should I be saving for - still talking lowest prize as there's so much equipment and software I also need to get my hands on... though audio is kind of underestimated people forget audio makes up for half the experience ..."

I said: Frequency response, smoothness of response, dispersion angles for the mids and/or tweeters, peak power handling capabilities, if the monitors are powered.

FYI, professional film and video mics normally run from $600 to $3000. Lavs around $200-$300. Wireless systems $700-$10,000.

I'd say more than 50%. Video without audio is just "Surveillance. "

U said:Six pairs, ok, I'm convinced - are you selling out?

I'm not sure whether to be offended or amused by your comment. I'm not here to convince you. You asked a question. I'm answering it.

U Said: "Somewhere one Hi Fi nerd wrote that sound is like wine so many grapes, so many tastes..."

I said: Go with your gut there Joanna, Find that Hi-Fi nerd and squeeze him till he gives up what the best monitors are for $600 a pair. I'm sure you'll be fine. It's only audio.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on Sep 3, 2013 at 3:31:17 pm

Joanna,

Ty is of course right that you need to be able to hear what's going on in your soundtrack. You need to be listening on systems that don't hype certain frequencies to try to get them to sound good, like typical home stereo systems might. You want speakers that are designed to be fairly "flat", so you hear what you are really working with. I think with your budget, you can get a decent pair of nearfield monitor speakers. The Yamaha HS50M monitors at about $300 per pair are pretty good. You might also consider the K-ROK RockIt monitors, though I think they are hyped a bit, they still work pretty well. Even M-Audio's Bx5a or Bx8a monitors have a decent reputation. The next REAL step-up would be to something like the Adam A7X monitors. But they are $700 EACH. With any monitors, though, you need to check your material on several sources - your TV system, your car if it's audio only, a portable player, etc. - to make sure that what you are mixing is going to translate well to the real world. And finally, if you have a terrible room to listen in - one with reflective surfaces, parallel walls that might create standing waves, etc. - then it doesn't matter what speakers you have, you can never trust them. And room treatment can cost a bundle.

Unless your room is really bad, though, I think you'll see a big improvement with any of the speakers listed above.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Joanna jomi
on Sep 4, 2013 at 8:29:07 am

Thank you Rob for helpful information!

Have nice day!

Regards,
Joanna

Jomi

Return to posts index

Paddy Uglow
on Sep 4, 2013 at 1:34:28 pm

Interestingly, the perception of relative loudness of different frequencies (the Fletcher/Munson curve) is said to vary at different amplitudes, so playing back at the same sound pressure is worthwhile, as well as good flat monitors. (I've just been on a music production course!)
- Paddy

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 4, 2013 at 4:00:21 pm

Paddy, You are correct...or the course is correct.

It's a very good idea to have a variety of monitors for just that reason and to monitor a mix at different levels. I use Radio Shack Minimus 7 to tell me about simple TV mixes.

I have a client who was upset at the lack of LF on some mixes. I asked what he was listening on.....(wait for it) ......a lap top!

A short course in physics later, he got the idea but wanted more bass on the lap top. Fortunately I knew what to do without messing up the sound on the big monitors.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 8, 2013 at 11:39:48 pm

What monitors at what price point do you recommend?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 9, 2013 at 12:19:37 am

I've heard and like:

Adam A7X: http://tinyurl.com/paf7vze

Mackie 824: http://tinyurl.com/qahpdzb

JBL LSR4328: http://tinyurl.com/n9dexl8

Event Opals: http://tinyurl.com/pflhadj

It's also pretty important to have a second lesser pair that provide a simple average TV and/or computer/iPad/iPod/cellphone experience.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Joshua Parlanti
on Sep 23, 2013 at 8:25:24 pm

First post here Johanna,

I'm a huge fan of the Yamaha HS80Ms. They're absolutely fantastic for the cost.

Best of luck with your decision!

Josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]