FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon Legria HF G30/Rode VideoMic Pro and hiss

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David McCormick
Canon Legria HF G30/Rode VideoMic Pro and hiss
on Sep 2, 2013 at 1:12:11 am

I use a Canon Legria (Vixia) HF G30 and have a Rode VideoMic Pro. I know the camera has a hiss on the audio which cannot be removed on the camera itself unless I had an external recorder or XLR box and mic instead, which I can't really afford the box and a mic or I'd be going that route.

I have set the camera to manual to adjust the levels of the audio as in most other settings, the level of the audio is too high and the hiss/background noise is quite high. I have lowered the volume of the audio in camera and turn on the Rode VideoMic Pro and normally don't use the high-pass filter (used to but prefer the native 40Hz-20kHz) switched it to +20db to compensate for lower audio volume and normalize it when editing.

On either settings the native 40Hz-20kHz or High-pass, there is always the hiss present in the audio.

I have tried recording 30 seconds of complete silence with the microphone on the camera and only hear the hiss sound. I tried using this in Audacity to isolate and remove the hiss from other recordings made with the camera and same mic, however, when I export the audio into Audacity and use the noise removal, it not only removes the hiss, but also some of the audio I don't want removed.

I first noticed this when I used the 30 second silent hiss recording, selected a part of the audio which had constant hiss, went to get noise profile, then opened a second Audacity and imported the audio from another recording (someone talking in front of the camera) with the camera and mic, went to get noise profile and isolate, when I clicked preview, I noticed some of talking was also being removed slightly if I removed the hiss this way, so that didn't work.

I normally use Sony Vagas Pro 12 to edit my videos, so if anyone knows how I could either remove or reduce greatly, the hiss noise using it (I have Fish Fillets plugin and messed around with Floorfish settings but can't get it how I like but using "exp: vox backgnd bleed" using default settings, does work to an extent but I can still pickup a hiss only not nearly as bad as it was) or using Audacity, without removing or reducing the quality of the other audio in the recordings, I would greatly appreciate it.

David McCormick

Return to posts index

Michal Wiatr
Re: Canon Legria HF G30/Rode VideoMic Pro and hiss
on Dec 4, 2013 at 7:35:01 am

Hello

I have the same problem and the same hardware configuration but Rode Stereo Video Mic Pro.

I made rec level lower in the Canon G30 and switched filter and +20dB on Rode mic. It helps a little.

Did You find better solution yet?

Regards
Michal Wiatr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]