FORUMS: list search recent posts

Power up Rode NTG1 mic with Olympus LS-10?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Meono
Power up Rode NTG1 mic with Olympus LS-10?
on Aug 30, 2013 at 3:17:37 am

Hi,

My portable recorder Olympus LS-10 doesn't have XLR inputs by itself, but maybe this can be done with an adapter or special cable. Do you know if this is possible? If that's the case. What do you recommend?

The idea is to record on location with a Digital SLR

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Gabriel Meono
Re: Power up Rode NTG1 mic with Olympus LS-10?
on Aug 30, 2013 at 4:56:29 am

Anyone?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Aug 30, 2013 at 10:27:16 am

The Rode NTG-1 mic needs 48v phantom power to make it work...
The Olympus LS-10 does NOT have phantom power...

To make the NTG-1 mic to work you need 48v phantom power either from an external power supply, Mixer, or a camera that has phantom power.

There is NO other way....

There are other mics on the market that can be operated from internal batteries in the mic and don't need external phantom power to operate.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 31, 2013 at 3:49:33 am

Hello Gabriel and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Brian is absolutely correct. The Rode NTG-2 is such a camera. Even then, you need a special cable because most cameras have stereo audio input jacks, as does this Olympus.

The microphone is mono. So there's a compatibility issue. You need a special cable that bridges the mono mic across both channels of the recorder. That cable looks just like a "normal" cable, but it's wired so that pin #2 of the mic is connected to both the tip and ring of the 1/8" plug.

You may have other issues because there is no synchronization between the camera and recorder. Each device has a clock in it. Yes, they are supposed to be running at the same rate, but it is not at all unusual for the clocks to be somewhat different. The Olympus audio of the same exact scene shot by the camera, may, in fact, be longer or shorter that the camera clip. The longer the shot the more it may be off.

Were I you, I would test this first by shooting a half hour on the camera and running the recorder at the same time. Use hand claps several times, especially at the beginning and end of the half hour to help line up the clips on the time line. Import both clips to the time line and see if they sync, or are even the same length. If they are, don't expect the same thing to happen if you substitute another recorder or camera.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Gabriel Meono
on Sep 1, 2013 at 3:55:05 am

Hi Brian and Ty,

Thanks for the informative responses. I found a portable preamp (iRigPre) that is inteded for IOS devices and has been reported to work with my DSLR.

I will still need some adapter cable as you mentioned to get the mono audio correctly but it's definitely worth a go since it's quite inexpensive!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]