FORUMS: list search recent posts

choosing wired lapel/lavalier mic with portable recorder

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Lent
choosing wired lapel/lavalier mic with portable recorder
on Aug 22, 2013 at 12:49:13 am

Hello folks,

I shoot short films/ business promos and the occasional interview via dslr. I have a decent set up as far as camera/lenses, lighting and rigging are concerned but im constantly borrowing sound. Paid work is scarce so my budget is max €150.

I currently looking for a second hand zoom h4, h4n or tascam dr-40. My preferance is the h4n but my descision will be based on price/availability.

For the lapel, the best i could find in my budget were:

AKG C417PP
http://www.thomann.de/ie/akg_c_417_ph.htm

Audio Technica Pro 70
http://www.thomann.de/ie/audio_technica_pro_70.htm?sid=df2b445e33caddc4495f...

The links provide a sample voice recording. In your opinion do either of these mics represent good value? The akg is omnidirectional and the ATP70 is cardiod, i know the technical explaination of each but which works better as a lapel? For this limited budget would i be better going for a cheeper possibly unbalanced lapel with a zoom h2 and a rode videomic for a more durable set up?

Your thoughts/ suggestions are greatly appreaciated
Thanks
Jeff

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: choosing wired lapel/lavalier mic with portable recorder
on Aug 22, 2013 at 3:36:51 pm

Hello Jeff and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Always omni unless you are in total control of mic placement and the environment is very noisy.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 23, 2013 at 12:02:23 am

[Jeff Lent] "For this limited budget would i be better going for a cheeper possibly unbalanced lapel with a zoom h2 and a rode videomic for a more durable set up?
"

You would be nuts to go for any unbalanced mic system over a balanced one.

A balanced circuit literally defeats all or some of any common mode interference (read HUM or RF noise) you encounter. Unbalanced does not.

In order for it to work properly - EVERYTHING about the circuit in use must remain balanced - the mic, the cable and the recording device input. But if those circuits are intact and properly functioning, you'll avoid HUGE problems in otherwise difficult recording circumstances.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeff Lent
on Aug 27, 2013 at 12:56:07 am

Thanks Bill. My thinking was a high end unbalanced set up would be somewhat comparable to a low end unbalanced set up. I see Ty Ford is in agreement with you

I have some work coming up so i need to make a purchase this in the next day or two. Im always a bit indecisive when buying new equipment, it helps to run it by others. Im not entirely convinced by either mic but unfortunately i cannot increase my budget so i will have to choose between them.

Thanks again
Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]