FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble connecting Mixpre-D with 7D

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Lewis
Trouble connecting Mixpre-D with 7D
on Aug 18, 2013 at 2:08:52 am

I already asked this on the SD forum but I thought I couldn't hurt to try here too...

I'm using a Hosa dual xlr female to single 3.5mm cable to connect the mixpre d to the 7D. (mixpre xlr outs are set to Mic level because 7D only accepts Mic level) When I send the tone to the 7d, I have to increase the rec level on the 7d quite a bit (see here: http://imgur.com/LVDbXoY) to get it to reach -12dbfs. Why is this? I've read that one should only have to set the dslr rec level "1 click" above "0" (meaning extreme left in the pic) for interfacing with a sound devices mixer. (because then the crappy dslr preamps aren't being engaged)

When I listen to the sound on the 7D, it has quite a bit of noise/static which I'm guessing is because of the camera's preamps??

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Trouble connecting Mixpre-D with 7D
on Aug 18, 2013 at 6:39:15 am

What's the connections on the cable?
Is it wired as a stereo cable or a dual xlr combine cable?
Are the XLR connectors marked as L/R?
What happens when one of the XLR connections is removed from the mixer, what shows in the meter of the D7?

Return to posts index

Stephen Lewis
on Aug 18, 2013 at 6:48:32 am

Hi,
This is the cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O5K/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=U...

I think it is a stereo cable (as it says in the amazon description), however the package says Dual XLR3.
There are no L or R markings on the XLR connectors.

I will do the experiment of trying only one connection tomorrow and get back to you.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Aug 18, 2013 at 8:19:34 am

This is from the 'MixPre D" manual.....
"The two XLR outputs are active-balanced connections, each capable of driving long lines. These connections can be used as either balanced or unbalanced. When unbalancing, use pin-2 for (+) and pin-1 for ground; float (leave open) pin-3"

Going unbalanced, as you are there might be a short between pins 1 and 3....

Return to posts index

Stephen Lewis
on Aug 18, 2013 at 4:33:15 pm

To be honest, I have no idea how to unbalanced an xlr cable or what the different pins are or how to manipulate them. I am just going to buy this Sound Devices cable: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/293005-REG/Sound_Devices_XL_3_XL3_Min...

That should solve my issues, correct?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 18, 2013 at 1:52:55 pm

Hello Stephen and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Brian has given you some good information.

But, as I have heard before.....

"You can use the Magic Lantern Hack to disable AGC on the 7D. It's not destructive, boots off your memory card when you boot the camera. It has a few other nice tricks up it's sleeve also.

The input is mic level, but you can buy a beachtek adapter to give you two XLR and a line input for it. They aren't powered so no condensers and are going to starve any decent dynamic mic so I'd only use it to bring line in from a mixer or something. Unless you are needing serious fidelity, you'll probably get roughly equal results running a mixer into the mic input at a very, very low level."

NOTE: I HAVE NOT TRIED THE ABOVE AND MAKE NO GUARANTEES ABOUT IT OR WHAT IT MIGHT DO THAT YOU DON'T WANT.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Stephen Lewis
on Aug 18, 2013 at 6:28:13 pm

quick follow up:
Since it seems like Brian was right that I shorted pins 1 & 3 by connecting balanced to unbalanced... does that mean I've done permanent damage to any of my gear?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 18, 2013 at 6:40:21 pm

prolly not

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]